HardwareBanter

-   Intel (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   can you have 1.5GB RAM??? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=156857)

Somebody September 3rd 07 09:19 PM

can you have 1.5GB RAM???

Is it possible to have 1.5GB RAM in a PC these days? I was under the
impression you had to put sticks in pairs (2 or 4). And that both the 0 and
1 memory banks had to have the same size??

Mike Smith September 3rd 07 09:36 PM

can you have 1.5GB RAM???

Somebody wrote:
Is it possible to have 1.5GB RAM in a PC these days? I was under the
impression you had to put sticks in pairs (2 or 4). And that both the 0 and
1 memory banks had to have the same size??

Systems these days can have quite a few more than two banks.

--
Mike Smith

Somebody September 3rd 07 09:51 PM

can you have 1.5GB RAM???

"Mike Smith" wrote in message
Somebody wrote:
Is it possible to have 1.5GB RAM in a PC these days? I was under the
impression you had to put sticks in pairs (2 or 4). And that both the 0
and 1 memory banks had to have the same size??

Systems these days can have quite a few more than two banks.

Actually the guy who was trying to get me into a debate about it claimed you
could toss in any old 512MB sticks in slots 0 & 1, and then any old 256MB
sticks in slots 2 & 3 to get 1.5GB. Maybe he glossed over the details, but
that implies 4 slots / 2 banks to me :).

Re your statement about systems having more then 2 banks, which motherboards
support this? most of the motherboards I see have 4 slots... on occasion I
see a 6 slot motherboard, but its rare. I'm not sure how the slots are
divided up on those.

DaveW[_4_] September 4th 07 12:33 AM

can you have 1.5GB RAM???

What you say is true, IF you want to run the RAM in the much faster and more
powerful "dual channel" memory mode; you cannot then use 1.5GB of RAM.

--
---------------------
DaveW

---------------------

Benjamin Gawert September 4th 07 08:50 AM

can you have 1.5GB RAM???

* DaveW:

What you say is true, IF you want to run the RAM in the much faster and more
powerful "dual channel" memory mode; you cannot then use 1.5GB of RAM.

Still the old bull****ter, DaveW? Never ever heard of mainboards with
two banks, 512MB modules and 256MB modules? Probably not.

FYI: 2x512Mb and 2x256MB give what? (Ok, I better do the math for you)
Exactly, 1.5GB in four modules running perfectly in two channel mode.

Benjamin

Benjamin Gawert September 4th 07 08:53 AM

can you have 1.5GB RAM???

* Somebody:

Re your statement about systems having more then 2 banks, which motherboards
support this? most of the motherboards I see have 4 slots... on occasion I
see a 6 slot motherboard, but its rare. I'm not sure how the slots are
divided up on those.

Mainstream (i.e. single CPU) ATX/BTX mobos usually have four memory
slots, Mini-ATX boards have usually two or three memory slots. Single
processor workstation and server boards usually have four to six slots,
and dual processor server and workstation boards usually have six to
eight memory slots.

The mobo in my main workstation for example has eight memory slots which
runs the memory in quad channel config.

Benjamin

MyndPhlyp September 8th 07 08:05 PM

can you have 1.5GB RAM???

"Somebody" wrote in message

"Mike Smith" wrote in message
Somebody wrote:
Is it possible to have 1.5GB RAM in a PC these days? I was under the
impression you had to put sticks in pairs (2 or 4). And that both the 0
and 1 memory banks had to have the same size??

Systems these days can have quite a few more than two banks.

Actually the guy who was trying to get me into a debate about it claimed

you
could toss in any old 512MB sticks in slots 0 & 1, and then any old 256MB
sticks in slots 2 & 3 to get 1.5GB. Maybe he glossed over the details, but
that implies 4 slots / 2 banks to me :).

Re your statement about systems having more then 2 banks, which

motherboards
support this? most of the motherboards I see have 4 slots... on occasion I
see a 6 slot motherboard, but its rare. I'm not sure how the slots are
divided up on those.

The thread just made me go back and look at my Intel D875PBZ manual.

As long as you are using a matched /*pair*/ of DIMMs equal in speed,
density, and technology in the same slot of both channels you get the
benefit of dual channel. See the following PDF. Page 35 (Figure 9) even
shows a mixed configuration.

ftp://download.intel.com/support/mot...bz_English.pdf

So yes, you can have 1.5GB by using 2x512MB + 2x256MB.

As for whether this is a universal feature among various motherboards, I
suspect not.

Benjamin Gawert September 8th 07 09:05 PM

can you have 1.5GB RAM???

* MyndPhlyp:

The thread just made me go back and look at my Intel D875PBZ manual.

As long as you are using a matched /*pair*/ of DIMMs equal in speed,
density, and technology in the same slot of both channels you get the
benefit of dual channel. See the following PDF. Page 35 (Figure 9) even
shows a mixed configuration.

ftp://download.intel.com/support/mot...bz_English.pdf

So yes, you can have 1.5GB by using 2x512MB + 2x256MB.

As for whether this is a universal feature among various motherboards, I
suspect not.

It is with all mobos that use dual channel memory and which have at
least two memory banks.

Benjamin

Justin[_3_] September 20th 07 07:01 PM

can you have 1.5GB RAM???

Benjamin Gawert wrote:

* Somebody:

Re your statement about systems having more then 2 banks, which
motherboards support this? most of the motherboards I see have 4
slots... on occasion I see a 6 slot motherboard, but its rare. I'm
not sure how the slots are divided up on those.

Mainstream (i.e. single CPU) ATX/BTX mobos usually have four memory
slots, Mini-ATX boards have usually two or three memory slots. Single
processor workstation and server boards usually have four to six
slots, and dual processor server and workstation boards usually have
six to eight memory slots.

The mobo in my main workstation for example has eight memory slots
which runs the memory in quad channel config.

Benjamin

God damn, that's a ****load of RAM.
Never know when you might need to run a global weather simulation.