HardwareBanter

-   -   GeForce 3 Ti500 Multi Monitor Support? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=55251)

Rez Manzoori September 23rd 04 07:52 PM

GeForce 3 Ti500 Multi Monitor Support?

Hi Folks,

I've been using multi monitor setup for a while now using the GeForce 3Ti500
(Remember when these where the Bees Knees!) for the 21" CRT and a really old
Matrox Mystique PCI card to run a 17" CRT.

The 17" unit has been sold off and a second identical 21" CRT taken it's
place. I'm trying to use the VGA and DVI outputs of the GF3 card to drive
the two 21" CRTs but all I can manage is 2 identical screens... not much
good to me! :-(

I've download 61.77 which tells me multi-monitor is enabled but I still
can't seem to find a way to let me span the screens. I should point out that
the Matrox card has been disabled in Device manager but is still physically
in the machine. Could this be causing it?

In desperation I've ordered an FX5700LE 256MB DDR TV OUT/DVI from Tekheads
(after the second 21" CRT the budget is stretched!)... am I going to get the
same problems with screen spanning? (by that point I will have taken all the
old cards out)

TIA

--
Rez Manzoori
Remove 'Mykeks' to respond

CapFusion September 23rd 04 08:52 PM

"Rez Manzoori" wrote in message
[...]

Since I do not have any more of GeForce3 card, I assumed it should be the
same as any FX card.
Remove Matrox and it driver. Restart Windows and check again in Display
Properties Advance GeForce [Tab]. After clicking on GeForce, a pop-out
menu will display. Do you see nView Display Mode? If so, under nView Modes
drop-down menu, what mode it list?

FX5700 series should have no problem using two monitor output.

CapFusion,...

... et al. September 23rd 04 11:07 PM

Rez Manzoori wrote:
Hi Folks,

I've been using multi monitor setup for a while now using the GeForce 3Ti500
(Remember when these where the Bees Knees!) for the 21" CRT and a really old
Matrox Mystique PCI card to run a 17" CRT.

Did it work differently with that old setup? Then with ...

The 17" unit has been sold off and a second identical 21" CRT taken it's
place. I'm trying to use the VGA and DVI outputs of the GF3 card to drive
the two 21" CRTs but all I can manage is 2 identical screens... not much
good to me! :-(

I've download 61.77 which tells me multi-monitor is enabled but I still
can't seem to find a way to let me span the screens. I should point out that
the Matrox card has been disabled in Device manager but is still physically
in the machine. Could this be causing it?

A Geforce 3 GPU contains only one RAMDAC. And as far i understand
it, the output from one RAMDAC can possibly be stretched over
several displays or the same output-picture cloned onto different
displays. But to get different independent pictures you need more
RAMDAC's ..

In desperation I've ordered an FX5700LE 256MB DDR TV OUT/DVI from Tekheads
(after the second 21" CRT the budget is stretched!)... am I going to get the
same problems with screen spanning? (by that point I will have taken all the
old cards out)

I don't know the RAMDAC number situtaion in anything then the
GF3-series cards.

--
Please followup in newsgroup.
E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

tq96 September 24th 04 12:52 AM

I don't know the RAMDAC number situtaion in anything then the
GF3-series cards.

Starting with GF2MX and GF4 going forward, all NVidia cards have dual
RAMDACs.

Lachoneus September 24th 04 01:57 AM

The 17" unit has been sold off and a second identical 21" CRT taken it's
place. I'm trying to use the VGA and DVI outputs of the GF3 card to drive
the two 21" CRTs but all I can manage is 2 identical screens... not much
good to me! :-(

I don't think you can do any better with a GF3. It doesn't have dual
RAMDACs, so it can only produce one output signal. I should know, I
tried it with my old Ti200 a couple years ago. :)

In desperation I've ordered an FX5700LE 256MB DDR TV OUT/DVI from Tekheads
(after the second 21" CRT the budget is stretched!)... am I going to get the
same problems with screen spanning? (by that point I will have taken all the
old cards out)

That card should be fine. I do dual monitors at work with an FX5200,
and it works fine for me.