HardwareBanter

-   -   Question regarding GeForce 4 Ti4280 & Ti4200 (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=54753)

Phil August 6th 04 05:07 AM

Question regarding GeForce 4 Ti4280 & Ti4200

Hi,

My video card just died (V5500) and planning to get a use last
generation video card to replace it. I have an option of getting a
used GeForce 4 Ti4280 or the Ti4200. Since I'm not too familiar with
nVidia's products, could you guys can tell me what is the differences
between the two? I did a search in this group for Ti4280 and only 1
page regarding this card, while the the Ti4200 got ton of pages. Was
the GeForce 4 Ti4280 not that popular compared to Ti4200? And why?

I mainly use the PC for video/DVD works and occassionally gaming (FPS,
flight Sim). I'm always 1 or 2 years behind the gaming scene so I
won't play any games release since last year so highest performance is
not an issue with me.

So instead of buying last generation video card, could you also
recommend any current generation video that suite my need and less
than $150 US. Thanks.

Spack August 6th 04 07:51 AM

"Phil" wrote in message
m...
Hi,

My video card just died (V5500) and planning to get a use last
generation video card to replace it. I have an option of getting a
used GeForce 4 Ti4280 or the Ti4200. Since I'm not too familiar with
nVidia's products, could you guys can tell me what is the differences
between the two? I did a search in this group for Ti4280 and only 1
page regarding this card, while the the Ti4200 got ton of pages. Was
the GeForce 4 Ti4280 not that popular compared to Ti4200? And why?

The Ti4280 seems to be a designation for the Ti4200-8X chipset, and it looks
like it's a model number made up by Albatron. The Ti4200-8X is just an AGP
8X version of the Ti4200 chipset, apart from that there is no difference
between them. If the Ti4200 you've been offered is an AGP 8X model too, then
the only difference will be what is bundled with the card (software and
accessories), and posibbly the VIVO option (the Albatron Ti4280 does not
have VIVO).

Dan

Sleepy August 6th 04 08:03 AM

"Spack" wrote in message
"Phil" wrote in message
[...]

Most 4xAGP 128mb 4200's were clocked lower than the 64mb variant and when
they brought out the 8xAGP they raised it to the same speeds as the 64mb ie
250/514 - My 'old' 4200 clocked to 275/550 and ran Far Cry at
medium settings very nicely.

Phil August 6th 04 03:13 PM

"Phil" wrote in message
[...]

The models a

Ti4200 (AGP 4x)
Ti4400 (AGP 4x)
Ti4600 (AGP 4x)

Ti4200 8x (AGP 8x)
Ti4800SE (Ti4400 with AGP 8x)
Ti4800 (Ti4600 with AGP 8x)

http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce4ti.html

AGP 8x doesn't seem to make that much difference, but the 64mb cards are
said to be *slightly* faster than the 128mb cards. Don't know how much truth
there is in this. Personally I have a Gainward Ti4800SE (128mb) and am very
happy with it.

Spack August 6th 04 04:27 PM

"Phil" wrote in message

AGP 8x doesn't seem to make that much difference, but the 64mb cards are
said to be *slightly* faster than the 128mb cards. Don't know how much

truth
there is in this. Personally I have a Gainward Ti4800SE (128mb) and am

very
happy with it.

The 4x AGP cards had slower RAM on the 128mb cards than the 64mb ones (IIRC
2.8ns compared to 2.2ns), but for real world performance (not benchmarks) I
don't think it made that much difference. Not sure about the 8x AGP ones. I
have a Leadtek Ti4200 128mb at home on my spare PC, runs great :)

Dan