HardwareBanter

-   Homebuilt PC's (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Printer help needed (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=22383)

Jerry Turba December 30th 04 02:22 PM

Printer help needed

I just picked up a HP laserjet 1100 printer (Model 4224A). I have never
used a laser printer and I cannot find the info I need on the HP site.

1. I have an IEEE 1284 printer cable but it does not fit the laserjet it
is about double the size of the laserjet connector. Is there a special
cable that I need? The HP website simple says an IEEE 1284 cable.

2. There is a port on the bottom rear of the printer labeled PE. THe port
looks about the size of a headset input socket. There is no internal pin
visible in the socket. What is the purpose of this socket?

Any info or links appreciated.
Thanks
Jerry

Mac Cool December 30th 04 03:10 PM

Jerry Turba:

I cannot find the info I need on the HP site.

comp.periphs.printers
--
Mac Cool

Rich Greenberg December 30th 04 03:52 PM

In article ,
Jerry Turba wrote:
I just picked up a HP laserjet 1100 printer (Model 4224A). I have never
used a laser printer and I cannot find the info I need on the HP site.

HP no longer sells it, so according to them, it no longer exists.
Do you have just the printer or the scanner also (clamps on the front)?

1. I have an IEEE 1284 printer cable but it does not fit the laserjet it
is about double the size of the laserjet connector. Is there a special
cable that I need? The HP website simple says an IEEE 1284 cable.

I am using the cable that came with it. No idea what spec it is, and
didn't see a mention in any of the docs I have. Go to someplace like
Frys/microcenter and see if you can match up a cable. May cost you more
than the printer did.

2. There is a port on the bottom rear of the printer labeled PE. THe port
looks about the size of a headset input socket. There is no internal pin
visible in the socket. What is the purpose of this socket?

My printer (which is an 1100a) doesn't have a PE port. No idea what it
might be.

I have a pdf file of the user guide. Want a copy? Can Yahoo take an
attachment that big? 3megs.

David Maynard December 30th 04 07:09 PM

Jerry Turba wrote:

I just picked up a HP laserjet 1100 printer (Model 4224A). I have never
used a laser printer and I cannot find the info I need on the HP site.

1. I have an IEEE 1284 printer cable but it does not fit the laserjet it
is about double the size of the laserjet connector. Is there a special
cable that I need? The HP website simple says an IEEE 1284 cable.

2. There is a port on the bottom rear of the printer labeled PE. THe port
looks about the size of a headset input socket. There is no internal pin
visible in the socket. What is the purpose of this socket?

Any info or links appreciated.
Thanks
Jerry

Printer name Model number Intro date Discontinue date

HP LaserJet
1100 series printer C4224A Nov-98 Apr-01

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...cname=bpl07595

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en...263-25470.html

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...ectID=bpl06517

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...eriesId=235424

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...odTypeId=18972

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...eriesId=235424

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...odTypeId=18972

Interfaces and Connectivity:

High-speed bidirectional IEEE 1284 compliant parallel port (C-type
connector) with cable included in the box

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...odTypeId=18972

Jerry Turba December 30th 04 07:45 PM

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 15:10:59 +0000, Mac Cool wrote:

Jerry Turba:

[quoted text muted]

comp.periphs.printers

I googled on IEEE 1284 and found out that there are 3 versions of the
cable it looks like I need the 1284 type C mini centronics. At least the
pictures looks like what I need. If frys doesn't have it I will post to
the printer group.
Thanks for the info.
Jerry

Jerry Turba December 30th 04 07:49 PM

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 10:52:56 -0500, Rich Greenberg wrote:

In article ,
Jerry Turba wrote:
[quoted text muted]

HP no longer sells it, so according to them, it no longer exists.
Do you have just the printer or the scanner also (clamps on the front)?

[quoted text muted]

I am using the cable that came with it. No idea what spec it is, and
didn't see a mention in any of the docs I have. Go to someplace like
Frys/microcenter and see if you can match up a cable. May cost you more
than the printer did.

[quoted text muted]

My printer (which is an 1100a) doesn't have a PE port. No idea what it
might be.

I have a pdf file of the user guide. Want a copy? Can Yahoo take an
attachment that big? 3megs.

It does not have the scanner unfortunately.

I will go to frys. I found out that there is a 1284 type C mini
centronics, and it looks like what I need. I never knew there were 3
types of centronics connectors. It will cost more that the printer because
I got the printer for free.

I did download the manual and a couple other docs from HP, tho nothing
about the cable specs nor PE port.

Thanks for you help
Jerry

Jerry Turba December 30th 04 08:03 PM

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 13:09:15 -0600, David Maynard wrote:

Jerry Turba wrote:

[quoted text muted]

Printer name Model number Intro date Discontinue date

HP LaserJet
1100 series printer C4224A Nov-98 Apr-01

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...cname=bpl07595

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en...263-25470.html

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...ectID=bpl06517

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...eriesId=235424

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...odTypeId=18972

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...eriesId=235424

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...odTypeId=18972

Interfaces and Connectivity:

High-speed bidirectional IEEE 1284 compliant parallel port (C-type
connector) with cable included in the box

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...odTypeId=18972

Thanks for the links David. I did find most of the links on the HP site.
My problem is that I didn't realize that there were 3 types of centronics
connectors. I have always used A and B, and did not know about the C type.
http://www.fapo.com/1284conn.htm

Thanks.
Jerry

Rich Greenberg December 30th 04 09:19 PM

In article ,
Jerry Turba wrote:

[...]

I will go to frys. I found out that there is a 1284 type C mini
centronics, and it looks like what I need. I never knew there were 3
types of centronics connectors. It will cost more that the printer because
I got the printer for free.

I did download the manual and a couple other docs from HP, tho nothing
about the cable specs nor PE port.

Thanks for you help

Your welcome. One thing to watch out for is feeding multiple sheets at
once, especially when the paper supply is low. This needs a feed roller
replacement. Around $75. Known design fault. If your lucky, its
already been done.

Jerry Turba December 30th 04 09:28 PM

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 16:19:51 -0500, Rich Greenberg wrote:

In article ,
Jerry Turba wrote:

[...]

[quoted text muted]

Your welcome. One thing to watch out for is feeding multiple sheets at
once, especially when the paper supply is low. This needs a feed roller
replacement. Around $75. Known design fault. If your lucky, its
already been done.

I saw a troubleshooting point about this on the HP site. I'll watch for
the problem, and not let the paper supply run low.

Thanks again.
Jerry

David Maynard January 1st 05 04:08 AM

Jerry Turba wrote:

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 13:09:15 -0600, David Maynard wrote:

Jerry Turba wrote:

[quoted text muted]

[...]

Yeah. Same number of pins as 'B' though so maybe you could just use a real
strong vise and squeeze it down. Or shrink it with a hot water wash and rinse.

Just kidding.

Thanks.
Jerry