HardwareBanter

-   Homebuilt PC's (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   XP home and dual processors. (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=17853)

Thaddeus L Olczyk November 15th 03 11:34 AM

XP home and dual processors.

I just recommended to a friend looking to upgrade that he look at
Dual CPU machines. Another friend is telling him to avoid it because
XP Home one supports one processor. Is this true?

I'm more of a Linux guy, but I seem to remember that XP Home
was going to support two processors and no more.
Thaddeus L. Olczyk, PhD
Think twice, code once.

Geoff November 15th 03 03:17 PM

Thaddeus L Olczyk wrote:
I just recommended to a friend looking to upgrade that he look at
Dual CPU machines. Another friend is telling him to avoid it because
XP Home one supports one processor. Is this true?

I'm more of a Linux guy, but I seem to remember that XP Home
was going to support two processors and no more.
Thaddeus L. Olczyk, PhD
Think twice, code once.

XP home is limited to 1 cpu
pro does 2 cpu's

basicly home doesn't do multi anything
no multi cpu
no multi monitor
you can't add it a domain either, workgroup only

MrToad November 15th 03 03:25 PM

Thaddeus L Olczyk Ran in the back door and shouted
:

I just recommended to a friend looking to upgrade that he look at
Dual CPU machines. Another friend is telling him to avoid it because
XP Home one supports one processor. Is this true?

I'm more of a Linux guy, but I seem to remember that XP Home
was going to support two processors and no more.
Thaddeus L. Olczyk, PhD
Think twice, code once.

It's true, XP Home is a single CPU solution.
For 2, you'll need XP Pro.

--
MrToad

Martin November 15th 03 07:32 PM

"Geoff" wrote in message
Thaddeus L Olczyk wrote:
I just recommended to a friend looking to upgrade that he look at
Dual CPU machines. Another friend is telling him to avoid it because
XP Home one supports one processor. Is this true?

I'm more of a Linux guy, but I seem to remember that XP Home
was going to support two processors and no more.
Thaddeus L. Olczyk, PhD
Think twice, code once.

XP home is limited to 1 cpu
pro does 2 cpu's

basicly home doesn't do multi anything
no multi cpu
no multi monitor

Nonsense. Of course you can have two monitors with XP Home. You just made
that up didn't you?

Martin

you can't add it a domain either, workgroup only

Geoff November 15th 03 08:12 PM

Martin wrote:
"Geoff" wrote in message
Thaddeus L Olczyk wrote:
I just recommended to a friend looking to upgrade that he look at
Dual CPU machines. Another friend is telling him to avoid it because
XP Home one supports one processor. Is this true?

I'm more of a Linux guy, but I seem to remember that XP Home
was going to support two processors and no more.
Thaddeus L. Olczyk, PhD
Think twice, code once.

XP home is limited to 1 cpu
pro does 2 cpu's

basicly home doesn't do multi anything
no multi cpu
no multi monitor

Nonsense. Of course you can have two monitors with XP Home. You just
made that up didn't you?

Martin

you can't add it a domain either, workgroup only

i was qouting what i remember about home from ages ago
come to think i have seeen it do multi monitor

Craig November 15th 03 09:46 PM

"Thaddeus L Olczyk" wrote in message
I just recommended to a friend looking to upgrade that he look at
Dual CPU machines. Another friend is telling him to avoid it because
XP Home one supports one processor. Is this true?

I'm more of a Linux guy, but I seem to remember that XP Home
was going to support two processors and no more.
Thaddeus L. Olczyk, PhD
Think twice, code once.

From Microsoft http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p.../choosing2.asp

XP Pro will handle 2 CPU's, XP Home does not.

Craig

JULIAN HALES November 15th 03 10:34 PM

"Geoff" wrote in message
Martin wrote:
"Geoff" wrote in message
Thaddeus L Olczyk wrote:
I just recommended to a friend looking to upgrade that he look at
Dual CPU machines. Another friend is telling him to avoid it because
XP Home one supports one processor. Is this true?

I'm more of a Linux guy, but I seem to remember that XP Home
was going to support two processors and no more.
Thaddeus L. Olczyk, PhD
Think twice, code once.

XP home is limited to 1 cpu
pro does 2 cpu's

basicly home doesn't do multi anything
no multi cpu
no multi monitor

Nonsense. Of course you can have two monitors with XP Home. You just
made that up didn't you?

Martin

you can't add it a domain either, workgroup only

i was qouting what i remember about home from ages ago
come to think i have seeen it do multi monitor

I use multi Mon on 98, best upgrade ever, just add a 2nd pci card and away
ya go, im surprised others dont do it, great for surfing and ebay etc.

Ralph Wade Phillips November 16th 03 03:24 AM

Howdy!

"Thaddeus L Olczyk" wrote in message
I just recommended to a friend looking to upgrade that he look at
Dual CPU machines. Another friend is telling him to avoid it because
XP Home one supports one processor. Is this true?

Yep. Although, it DOES support HyperThreading, with SP1a installed.

I'm more of a Linux guy, but I seem to remember that XP Home
was going to support two processors and no more.

No, that's XP Pro.

RwP

William W. Plummer November 16th 03 05:45 PM

"Geoff" wrote in message
Thaddeus L Olczyk wrote:
I just recommended to a friend looking to upgrade that he look at
Dual CPU machines.

You need to look at what he is going to do with the machine. Most home
machines are used for the web, email, Word, Excel, etc. These are all
single thread programs (interrupts are a negligible load). So, more than
one CPU won't make anything faster.

Further, your hard disk is almost always the bottleneck as far as speed
goes -- look at what percent of the time your disk light is on. Multiple
CPUs will make this worse because one CPU will have to sit there tapping its
fingers while the other one is accessing the disk. A faster disk (15,000
RPM from IBM) will minimize the waiting. The right RAID configuration
(striping?) should help. SCSI interface doesn't make the disk turn faster
so it won't help.