HardwareBanter

-   Gigabyte Motherboards (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   What's the optical audio output all about? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=36842)

Joe Woods August 1st 03 11:12 AM

What's the optical audio output all about?

I have a GA-7VAX.

I have the audio-combo kit that gives me the extra audio connectors
and 2 digital outputs (coax + optical).

I am going to buy some new speakers, maybe the CREATIVE INSPIRE 5500
DIGITAL.

Can I connect to these speakers using the digita optical output? or is
that not a good idea? can it only be used for DVD playback, or can I
filter all my PC sounds through the single digital optical output?

Richard Dower August 1st 03 09:02 PM

"Joe Woods" wrote in message
om...
I have a GA-7VAX.

I have the audio-combo kit that gives me the extra audio connectors
and 2 digital outputs (coax + optical).

I am going to buy some new speakers, maybe the CREATIVE INSPIRE 5500
DIGITAL.

Can I connect to these speakers using the digita optical output? or is
that not a good idea? can it only be used for DVD playback, or can I
filter all my PC sounds through the single digital optical output?

Those speakers should be connect to the SPDIF, it means that the signal will
be sent in digital format to the speakers, and the D/A converter within the
speaker enclosure converters the digital signal to analogue for playback.

Better sound in other words.

Roger Zoul August 2nd 03 09:02 PM

Richard Dower wrote:
:: "Joe Woods" wrote in message
:: om...
::: I have a GA-7VAX.
:::
::: I have the audio-combo kit that gives me the extra audio connectors
::: and 2 digital outputs (coax + optical).
:::
::: I am going to buy some new speakers, maybe the CREATIVE INSPIRE 5500
::: DIGITAL.
:::
::: Can I connect to these speakers using the digita optical output? or
::: is that not a good idea? can it only be used for DVD playback, or
::: can I filter all my PC sounds through the single digital optical
::: output?
::
:: Those speakers should be connect to the SPDIF, it means that the
:: signal will be sent in digital format to the speakers, and the D/A
:: converter within the speaker enclosure converters the digital signal
:: to analogue for playback.
::
:: Better sound in other words.

Why?