HardwareBanter

-   -   What's better? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=107687)

Mr. Brian Allen September 22nd 05 01:16 AM

What's better?

Should I go with a 6600gt 128mb, or a regular 6800 128mb? Playing games
like BIA, WOW, and Chaos Theory on an AMD 3000+ with a gig of RAM.

vellu September 22nd 05 06:40 AM

Mr. Brian Allen kirjoitti:
Should I go with a 6600gt 128mb, or a regular 6800 128mb? Playing games
like BIA, WOW, and Chaos Theory on an AMD 3000+ with a gig of RAM.

As far as Tomshardwares VGA Chart Summer 2005 (PCIE) is conserned, the
6600GT 128 MB outperformed the 6800 256MB in every single benchmark they
ran. In some quite significantly.

The 6800 however might be overclockable to improve it's performance
beyond the 6600GT.

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/gra...524/index.html

Alexander Hecht September 22nd 05 01:56 PM

"vellu" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Mr. Brian Allen kirjoitti:
Should I go with a 6600gt 128mb, or a regular 6800 128mb? Playing
games like BIA, WOW, and Chaos Theory on an AMD 3000+ with a gig of
RAM.

As far as Tomshardwares VGA Chart Summer 2005 (PCIE) is conserned,
the 6600GT 128 MB outperformed the 6800 256MB in every single
benchmark they ran. In some quite significantly.

The 6800 however might be overclockable to improve it's performance
beyond the 6600GT.

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/gra...524/index.html

Did you link to an article that you didn't even read?
The 6800 is faster than the 6600GT at defaults...

farmuse September 22nd 05 06:32 PM

Mr. Brian Allen kirjoitti:

Should I go with a 6600gt 128mb, or a regular 6800 128mb? Playing
games like BIA, WOW, and Chaos Theory on an AMD 3000+ with a gig of RAM.

As far as Tomshardwares VGA Chart Summer 2005 (PCIE) is conserned, the
6600GT 128 MB outperformed the 6800 256MB in every single benchmark
they ran. In some quite significantly.

The 6800 however might be overclockable to improve it's performance
beyond the 6600GT.

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/gra...524/index.html

Did you link to an article that you didn't even read?
The 6800 is faster than the 6600GT at defaults...

one advantage of the 6800 is unlocking the additional 4 pipes, mine
worked fine afterwards but having some issue overclocking it, still I
think the 6800 is a better card.

vellu September 22nd 05 08:05 PM

Mr. Brian Allen kirjoitti:

Should I go with a 6600gt 128mb, or a regular 6800 128mb? Playing
games like BIA, WOW, and Chaos Theory on an AMD 3000+ with a gig of RAM.

As far as Tomshardwares VGA Chart Summer 2005 (PCIE) is conserned, the
6600GT 128 MB outperformed the 6800 256MB in every single benchmark
they ran. In some quite significantly.

The 6800 however might be overclockable to improve it's performance
beyond the 6600GT.

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/gra...524/index.html

Did you link to an article that you didn't even read?
The 6800 is faster than the 6600GT at defaults...

Not as far as I can see... For example the first benchmark on the
article, 3DM05 No AA/AF 1024x768. 6600GT gets 3681, 6800 256MB gets
2635. Quite the difference in my opinion....

6800GT or 6800 Ultra naturally are much faster, but the op asked for a
comparison between 6600gt 128mb or a REGULAR 6800 128mb.

/Mr.X September 22nd 05 09:00 PM

"vellu" skrev i meddelandet
Mr. Brian Allen kirjoitti:
Should I go with a 6600gt 128mb, or a regular 6800 128mb? Playing games
like BIA, WOW, and Chaos Theory on an AMD 3000+ with a gig of RAM.

As far as Tomshardwares VGA Chart Summer 2005 (PCIE) is conserned, the
6600GT 128 MB outperformed the 6800 256MB in every single benchmark they
ran. In some quite significantly.

The 6800 however might be overclockable to improve it's performance beyond
the 6600GT.

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/gra...524/index.html

Dont know what kind of card that 6800 256MB DDR in that test is, but in this
test 6800 really is better than 6600GT in the AGP-version:
http://www.tomshardware.se/graphic/2...an_agp-02.html
sorry bout that the texts is on Swedish..
128MB DDR is anyhow standard on 6800.

/Mr.X

vellu September 22nd 05 09:30 PM

/Mr.X kirjoitti:
"vellu" skrev i meddelandet

Mr. Brian Allen kirjoitti:

Should I go with a 6600gt 128mb, or a regular 6800 128mb? Playing games
like BIA, WOW, and Chaos Theory on an AMD 3000+ with a gig of RAM.

As far as Tomshardwares VGA Chart Summer 2005 (PCIE) is conserned, the
6600GT 128 MB outperformed the 6800 256MB in every single benchmark they
ran. In some quite significantly.

The 6800 however might be overclockable to improve it's performance beyond
the 6600GT.

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/gra...524/index.html

Dont know what kind of card that 6800 256MB DDR in that test is, but in this
test 6800 really is better than 6600GT in the AGP-version:
http://www.tomshardware.se/graphic/2...an_agp-02.html
sorry bout that the texts is on Swedish..
128MB DDR is anyhow standard on 6800.

True. The AGP versions seem to have reversed results (the link I posted
was for PCIE cards). Here's the same page in english:
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/gra...l#3d_mark_2005

Possible the 9800 256MB PCIE was actually an SE/LE card, though the test
doesn't provide that information (at a quick glance).

Don Davis September 22nd 05 11:31 PM

Not as far as I can see... For example the first benchmark on the article,
3DM05 No AA/AF 1024x768. 6600GT gets 3681, 6800 256MB gets 2635. Quite the
difference in my opinion....

6800GT or 6800 Ultra naturally are much faster, but the op asked for a
comparison between 6600gt 128mb or a REGULAR 6800 128mb.

4978 3DMark05 if you overclock the NV41

MSI NX6800-TD256MB (riddick) PCI-E

325/600 3DMark05 3758 (default)
420/840 3DMark05 4978

ASUS A88N-SLI Deluxe
3500+ venice @2700MHZ
2X512MB HyperX PC3500

I've had the CPU multiplier default to 5X or 1225 and the 3Dmark05 score is
the same

Dragoncarer September 22nd 05 11:37 PM

Mr. Brian Allen kirjoitti:

Should I go with a 6600gt 128mb, or a regular 6800 128mb? Playing
games like BIA, WOW, and Chaos Theory on an AMD 3000+ with a gig of
RAM.

As far as Tomshardwares VGA Chart Summer 2005 (PCIE) is conserned, the
6600GT 128 MB outperformed the 6800 256MB in every single benchmark they
ran. In some quite significantly.

The 6800 however might be overclockable to improve it's performance
beyond the 6600GT.

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/gra...524/index.html

Did you link to an article that you didn't even read?
The 6800 is faster than the 6600GT at defaults...

one advantage of the 6800 is unlocking the additional 4 pipes, mine
worked fine afterwards but having some issue overclocking it, still I
think the 6800 is a better card.

IMHO you should never, not ever, no never, buy a card based so heavily on
its OC capabilities. Not to mention voiding all warranty if you do OC - and
the sort of OC we're talking about here, which would include flashing the
bios to a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT VERSION OF THE CARD will without a doubt
score you no brownie points with the manufactuerer - aside from this, you
won't know if it will even work! And you could result in nothing more than a
smoking puddle of plastic.

No, you should never buy based on OC. Good OC potential is an added bonus.
If you really want/ need the extra power that hardcore OCing will give you,
then you're better off saving for an extra few months and buying the actual
better card.

IMHO, of course.

Scott September 22nd 05 11:37 PM

farmuse wrote:
one advantage of the 6800 is unlocking the additional 4 pipes, mine
worked fine afterwards but having some issue overclocking it, still I
think the 6800 is a better card.

Early versions of the 6800 AGP card have 16 pipelines with four of those
pipelines being masked. On those cards, the additional pipelines can be
unlocked.

Tthe PCI-E versions of the 6800 are manufactured with only 12 pipelines
so there is nothing to unlock.

I'm not sure, but it is quite possible the current 6800 AGP cards are
also manufactured with only 12 pipelines.

-Scott