HardwareBanter

-   Printers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   HP Deskjet 3550 not printing (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=123799)

opity March 30th 06 12:58 PM

HP Deskjet 3550 not printing

I have a Deskjet 3550 which I use rarely as I don't print often. Lately
the need came up and it wouldn't print. Windows or Linux, the same thing
happens, when I turn it on the LED on the button blinks and the printer
never prints, the documents are queued but no printing.

I tried reinstalling the printer but I've lost my HP CD and the downloaded
drivers from hp.com don't want to install.

Any help? Should I do a hard reset? How is it done?

Tony March 31st 06 08:03 AM

opity wrote:
I have a Deskjet 3550 which I use rarely as I don't print often. Lately
the need came up and it wouldn't print. Windows or Linux, the same thing
happens, when I turn it on the LED on the button blinks and the printer
never prints, the documents are queued but no printing.

I tried reinstalling the printer but I've lost my HP CD and the downloaded
drivers from hp.com don't want to install.

Any help? Should I do a hard reset? How is it done?

Does the LED flash a couple of times and then go off completely? If so you have
suffered from a common problem with this model, they are inclined to suffer
some form of internal electronic failure which is not repairable. We see one of
these every couple of weeks or so. In this case, is the printer still in
warranty? If so call HP.
If the LED keeps blinking then the most likely cause is a failed print
cartridge (not simply empty), in this case what does the status monitor report?
It should tell you if one of the cartridges is giving trouble. You can try
cleaning the cartridge contacts in this case with a cloth dampened with water,
do not touch the printhead nozzles however, that will do no good and may do
harm.
Tony