HardwareBanter

-   Compaq Computers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   bios update? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=163581)

etheesdad January 4th 08 10:07 PM

bios update?

Hi

I want to install some ram in a friend's machine

I ran belarc advisor which produces the following
compaq pc g00bdbdc
board: compaq 0708h
bios: compaq 786k3

I am wanting to find a bios update. the machine is not a bios but the
guy who built it can't remember what board he put into it, hence the
use of belarc to do the id-ing. Can anyone help me find a bios
update? Ive tried various google combinations but nothing coming up.

Thankyou for any contributions

Ben Myers January 5th 08 02:29 AM

bios update?

Compaq/HP rarely issue BIOS updates unless to correct a really serious error.
The info from Belarc is meaningless to me.

But why a BIOS update to install some RAM? It is normally not needed, provided
the RAM meets the technical specifications of the motherboard... Ben Myers

etheesdad January 5th 08 12:55 PM

bios update?

On Jan 5, 8:07 am, etheesdad wrote:
Hi

I want to install some ram in a friend's machine

I ran belarc advisor which produces the following
compaq pc g00bdbdc
board: compaq 0708h
bios: compaq 786k3

I am wanting to find a bios update. the machine is not a bios but the
guy who built it can't remember what board he put into it, hence the
use of belarc to do the id-ing. Can anyone help me find a bios
update? Ive tried various google combinations but nothing coming up.

Thankyou for any contributions

thanks Ben, very much for your reply.

I was advised that this may be necessary because the ram is 'new'. I
managed to install it today without the bios update with no problem.
Happy ending after all.

Ben Myers January 5th 08 03:12 PM

bios update?

Makes sense. Adding memory or making other hardware changes (new video card,
new hard drive, etc) very seldom requires a BIOS update, unless the BIOS update
corrects a limitation preventing the new hardware install. Glad it worked OK
for you... Ben Myers