HardwareBanter

-   -   5600 vs 5600 ultra (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=53243)

Steve February 14th 04 02:32 AM

5600 vs 5600 ultra

I am just wondering what the difference is between the 5600 & the 5600 ultra
besides memory speed and RAMDAC speed. I have the asylum model of the 5600
with 256MB of RAM.
THX in advance.

Steve

Darthy February 14th 04 05:50 AM

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 01:32:01 GMT, "Steve" wrote:

I am just wondering what the difference is between the 5600 & the 5600 ultra
besides memory speed and RAMDAC speed. I have the asylum model of the 5600
with 256MB of RAM.
THX in advance.

Should ask before ya buy...

256mb 5600 is no faster than 128mb version... a little slower than
5600Ultra.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic...ournament_2003

BTW, try out the UT2004 demo at www.unreal.com - clickon UT2003 -
click on big UT2004 DEMO graphic - includes 5 maps... from the
console in the game (press ~ key) type in STAT FPS to see your
performance.

Report back... if ya want ;)

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Steve February 14th 04 07:20 AM

What about overclocking this card? Would it then approach the Ultra's speed?
I am soon getting a Dell Dimension XPS which is coming with a stock 5200
card and I am going to put the 5600 in it.

Darthy February 14th 04 11:16 AM

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 06:20:25 GMT, "Steve" wrote:

What about overclocking this card? Would it then approach the Ultra's speed?
I am soon getting a Dell Dimension XPS which is coming with a stock 5200
card and I am going to put the 5600 in it.

Perhaps...

Why get a Dell? Paying for a card that you're gonna pull out?

Spend less on a better computer - put money into better card.

Steve February 14th 04 12:33 PM

Well I was going to have them (Dell) put the ATI 9800XT in the new system,
but it jacked up the price beyound what my wife and I had budgeted for a new
computer. As far getting a Dell it's the only company that my wife and I
trust. We have had bad experiences either personally or professionally with
the other major computer manufacturers. So we opt for Dell. I know alot of
people who don't like Dell but I guess it's just a matter of personal
preference.

Steve

Xeon February 14th 04 02:34 PM

See,
This is when it helps to have the knowledgeSP to build your own system...
I myself would NEVER buy a system from ANY major manufacturer... as things
get to proprietary, and fixed. It is so much easier to just build your own,
that way you get the mobo you want, the memory you want the video you want,
and the drives....... granted waranty chasing is a hastle if you have a
problem, but if you go with good stuff..... you shouldn't need the warranty
and it should go out dated b4 the warranty expires :) just my humble
opinion......
And, if ya dont have the confidence to build your own... give me a call ;)
I'll do it for ya!!!!!

{SFU}xeon

Steve February 14th 04 03:41 PM

Xeon,

It's not that I don't have the knowledge to build my own. It's the money.
I was going to do that but
buying all the components separately and then putting them together would
have cost me more money. I live in a place where computer components aren't
readily available. And I don't trust mail order very much.

Mark A February 14th 04 04:42 PM

"Steve" wrote in message news:2sqXb.35798$_44.29895@attbi_s52...
Xeon,

It's not that I don't have the knowledge to build my own. It's the money.
I was going to do that but
buying all the components separately and then putting them together would
have cost me more money. I live in a place where computer components

aren't
readily available. And I don't trust mail order very much.

Try www.newegg.com

However, I think that Dell makes very good (and very quiet computers) for
the money.

Gordieee February 14th 04 06:27 PM

Aye, if you know what you're doing! Also, it doesn't work out much cheaper
than the major brands now-a-days as they can afford now to drop their
prices, as the competition in the p.c market has widened an extreme amount
in the last year alone

Gordieee February 14th 04 06:27 PM

I squish yoO tooO! TOO!!

"Mark A" wrote in message