HardwareBanter

-   Gigabyte Motherboards (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Anu Comments on this ram (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=38056)

Don Murphy April 18th 04 02:51 AM

Anu Comments on this ram

I have now received my K8NNXP and am now looking at ram. I have it
down to 2 Kingston Hyper x 3500 or Mushkin PC4000. Anyone use either
of these. I have used Mushkin in the past and their ram has always
worked well for me. I have never had to return 1 stick.

Thank You
Don Murphy

S.Heenan April 18th 04 12:59 PM

Don Murphy" murphy"don wrote:
I have now received my K8NNXP and am now looking at ram. I have it
down to 2 Kingston Hyper x 3500 or Mushkin PC4000. Anyone use either
of these. I have used Mushkin in the past and their ram has always
worked well for me. I have never had to return 1 stick.

Here's the PC3200 list from Gigabyte:
http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard...gyGuide_73.htm

Crucial
http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...NNXP&submit=Go

Chances are good both Kingston and Muskin will work, provided you set speeds
and timings manually. You want non-ECC and unregistered PC3200 or faster.

S.Heenan April 18th 04 06:34 PM

Don Murphy" murphy"don wrote:
I have now received my K8NNXP and am now looking at ram. I have it
down to 2 Kingston Hyper x 3500 or Mushkin PC4000. Anyone use either
of these. I have used Mushkin in the past and their ram has always
worked well for me. I have never had to return 1 stick.

Here's the PC3200 list from Gigabyte:

http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard...gyGuide_73.htm

Crucial

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...NNXP&submit=Go

Chances are good both Kingston and Muskin will work, provided you
set speeds and timings manually. You want non-ECC and unregistered
PC3200 or faster.

If you have no plans to exceed 200MHz, overclock, buying PC3500 or better is
unnecessary.

Don Murphy April 19th 04 01:43 AM

Don Murphy" murphy"don wrote:
I have now received my K8NNXP and am now looking at ram. I have it
down to 2 Kingston Hyper x 3500 or Mushkin PC4000. Anyone use either
of these. I have used Mushkin in the past and their ram has always
worked well for me. I have never had to return 1 stick.

Here's the PC3200 list from Gigabyte:

http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard...gyGuide_73.htm

Crucial

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...NNXP&submit=Go

Chances are good both Kingston and Muskin will work, provided you
set speeds and timings manually. You want non-ECC and unregistered
PC3200 or faster.

If you have no plans to exceed 200MHz, overclock, buying PC3500 or better is
unnecessary.

I have no plans to overclock. I need stable as this is a workstation
that I will be doing video editing on. I se now I only need PC3200
and I can get a better deal on Mushkin PC3200.

Thank You
Don Murphy

S.Heenan April 19th 04 02:56 AM

Don Murphy" murphy"don wrote:
Chances are good both Kingston and Muskin will work, provided you
set speeds and timings manually. You want non-ECC and unregistered
PC3200 or faster.

If you have no plans to exceed 200MHz, overclock, buying PC3500 or
better is unnecessary.

I have no plans to overclock. I need stable as this is a workstation
that I will be doing video editing on. I se now I only need PC3200
and I can get a better deal on Mushkin PC3200.

By all means, buy the Mushkin PC3200. Excellent stuff. I understand Fry's
has it on special from time to time.

Zac April 19th 04 04:02 AM

Outpost had the Geil DDR400 dual "Basic" kits (512 and 1gig) on sale
for $189 last week. So far I've been very impressed and they are dead
stable at a much higher overclock then my previous Crucial sticks.
Despite their rated timing of 2.5, 4, 4, 8 even geil tech support says
to set them to 2.5, 3, 3, 6 and sure enough, they're dead stable at
this timing.

Zac

S.Heenan April 19th 04 11:00 AM

Zac wrote:
Outpost had the Geil DDR400 dual "Basic" kits (512 and 1gig) on sale
for $189 last week. So far I've been very impressed and they are dead
stable at a much higher overclock then my previous Crucial sticks.
Despite their rated timing of 2.5, 4, 4, 8 even geil tech support says
to set them to 2.5, 3, 3, 6 and sure enough, they're dead stable at
this timing.

Crucial is a fine product, at or very near rated speed. I use it often, with
good results. It is not the best choice for overclocking. Corsair, Mushkin,
some BuffaloTech, and from what you report, Geil, are better choices.