HardwareBanter

-   -   NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra port question (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=55132)

Ryan Atici September 9th 04 01:24 AM

NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra port question

Hi folks!,

I am thinking of getting NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra. I checked and checked
again on the web, and noticed that the card has nothing but only 2 DVI ports
for monitor connection. I am a PC user. The monitor I use with my current PC
has VGA connection, but NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra seems to me that it only
provides 2 DVI ports connections (if I am not wrong, it is the same
connection that MAC has). Am I looking at the wrong version of "NVIDIA
GeForce 6800 Ultra for MAC" or NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra comes only in DVI
for monitor connection. If NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra for PC only comes in
DVI connection, how can I connect my VGA monitor socket connection to
"NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra"? do I have to purchase an adapter to convert DVI
to VGA so that I can connect my monitor to NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra?

Thanks...

--
Ryan Atici

Chip September 13th 04 09:01 AM

"OldFartJAC" wrote in message
Most if not all the cards come with adapters.

True.

Ryan: The other thing to bear in mind is that there are two kinds of DVI
ports, DVI-D and DVI-I. The GF6800's have DVI-I's. What does this mean?
Well DVI-I is simply a DVD-D connector, but it also has the normal VGA
analogue pins contained within the connector.

So the "converter" doesn't have to do any fancy digital to analogue
conversion or anything: the analogue pins are already there. All the
converter does is changes the connector shape so you can plug your old
analogue cable in, that's all.

So if you *do* need to buy a converter, they are like peanuts to buy. I
have about 4 of them lying around in my "bits and pieces" box.

Chip

housecat84 September 14th 04 05:57 AM

"Ryan Atici" wrote in message ...
[...]

Hey mate,

i recommend the 6800GT over the Ultra...my reasons? performance gain
is oh so narrow compared to the Ultra, both cards have 16 pipes, just
lower clock speeds and only one molex connector...save your money, get
a GT and put the rest into some better RAM or a New CPU