HardwareBanter

-   -   eVGA FX 5900 XT problem (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=54733)

Patch August 4th 04 10:52 PM

eVGA FX 5900 XT problem

I just installed this new card & during the boot, it just goes to a black
screen & the monitor goes to sleep mode. I have a dual boot, Win98 & XP. It
does the same in both. I've followed all the troubleshooting tips in the
install booklet with no joy. Has anyone had any experience with this
problem?

The Black Wibble August 5th 04 04:22 AM

"Patch" wrote in message
I just installed this new card & during the boot, it just goes to a black
screen & the monitor goes to sleep mode. I have a dual boot, Win98 & XP.

It
does the same in both. I've followed all the troubleshooting tips in the
install booklet with no joy. Has anyone had any experience with this
problem?

One reads of others having the same problem and often the PSU is too weak.
What are the specs of your PSU, especially the number of amps on the +12v
line? Greater or equal to 18 amps is good.

Some computers come with a PSU that can supply enough power to the hardware
devices within, but with not much to spare for extra add-ons, especially for
add-ons such as graphics accelerators which are quite power hungry.

Tony.

Patch August 5th 04 03:29 PM

"The Black Wibble" wrote in message
"Patch" wrote in message
[...]

I just noticed that the fan doesn't run. Shouldn't it be running all the
time?

The Black Wibble August 5th 04 10:45 PM

"Patch" wrote in message

"The Black Wibble" wrote in message

[...]
Some computers come with a PSU that can supply enough power to the
hardware devices within, but with not much to spare for extra add-ons,
especially for add-ons such as graphics accelerators which are quite
power hungry.

Tony.

I just noticed that the fan doesn't run. Shouldn't it be running all the
time?

Usually the ~case~ fan keeps going while everything else does not. I still
think the problem is a weak PSU, but in the absence of information about the
your PC, including PSU specifications, I'm only 66% sure.

Tony.

The Black Wibble August 5th 04 10:56 PM

If your PC boots whenever the previous gfx card is put back in, then I'm
91.2% sure the problem is a weak PSU. :-) If it doesn't work, then either
the PSU has died or something on the motherboard has been toasted.

Tony.