HardwareBanter

-   Gigabyte Motherboards (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Anyone tried the F8 bios for 8KNXP? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=37410)

Dominic Phoon November 20th 03 09:20 AM

Anyone tried the F8 bios for 8KNXP?

Anyone? I am still using F5, wondering if I should update.

Thanks

Dominic Phoon November 20th 03 09:22 AM

Here's the link :

http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/...S_GA-8KNXP.htm

Peter Bungart November 21st 03 12:04 AM

I'm using F6, but when I tried flashing to either F7 or F8, system hangs
when verifying DMI pool (although it says it was successful). I tried using
@Bios in Windows XP Pro & using DualBios prior to booting. I end up
reverting back to F6 & everything is OK again. Anyone having this problem?
Any suggestions? Oh yeah, I also noticed that some of the boot disk options
changed with F7 & 8, meaning there are fewer choices. Does this concern
anyone? I plan on setting up a Raid0 SATA boot drive (2 hd's) in the near
future. Thanks.

mark7dc November 21st 03 12:11 AM

F8 is working just fine here, with both SATA and IDE drives. My board
came with F5 and worked just fine from day one. Updaed to F6 and had
no problems. Skipped F7.

--
There Can Be No Triumph Without Loss
There Can Be No Victory Without Sacrifice

bdh November 21st 03 01:42 AM

I just tried F8 on mine. I disabled hyper threading. loaded failsafe
defaults then q flashed(f8) the new bios.
I could not boot from the intel raid array, and lost the choice in my bios,
also I could not get to the bios from del button. I had to wait and go thru
boot process - (after it hangs at "update dmi successful" it goes into
bios). I reflashed to f6 and got my options back , then successfully booted
to my raid array.

Dominic Phoon November 21st 03 06:10 AM

Did you do any benchmarks? Apparently F7 reduced about 200 points in
Sandra's memory bandwidth benchmark. I am quoting this from RC from another
thread. I wonder if F8 was suppose to solve this.

Old Dude November 21st 03 01:03 PM

With F8 installed, my PC totally freezes up when I try to enter the BIOS
menu screen.

I can press the DEL key one or more times at different points during the
initial boot up process, and until the add-on BIOSes are processed (GigRAID,
Promise SX4000 RAID controller card), I don't get the BIOS menu screen.
Then, the PC does not respond to any keyboard input. With F7B, I had no
problems like this.

I have also removed both the CMOS battery and the power supply AC cord,
waited 5 minutes, and still no change in behavior.

Does anyone have a solution to this?