HardwareBanter

-   -   Asus GTX650 "Dust-proof fan" bollocks (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=193590)

[email protected] September 15th 13 02:06 PM

Asus GTX650 "Dust-proof fan" bollocks

I got this and on the box, it claims that the "dust-proof fan" will increase the life of the card by 25% through increased dust and particle resistance.
What means this? Do they have a peer-review conference paper to back this up?
So maybe dust does not stick to the fan itself. Whoopy doo!
I alway thought the problem is dust blown onto the heatsink slowly clogging
it up, then your GPU (or CPU) starts thermal throttling and eventually
crashing.

Paul September 15th 13 02:30 PM

wrote:
I got this and on the box, it claims that the "dust-proof fan" will increase the life of the card by 25% through increased dust and particle resistance.
What means this? Do they have a peer-review conference paper to back this up?
So maybe dust does not stick to the fan itself. Whoopy doo!
I alway thought the problem is dust blown onto the heatsink slowly clogging
it up, then your GPU (or CPU) starts thermal throttling and eventually
crashing.

Upon reading this, the Asus marketing manager was so distraught,
she jumped off the second floor of the Foxconn building :-)

*******

I can find a passing reference to the feature here. Asus has
the dust-proof fan on a number of cards, but without elaboration.

http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Asus-...-Power/?page=2

"The battle against dust rages on!

In addition to being larger than the fans you'll find on other
graphics cards, ASUS DirectCU models feature dust proof fans.

Asus says these fans are sealed twice over to prevent dust
from entering the housing assembly and clogging up the bearings.
The result is an increase in the life of the fans by up to 10,000 hours."

If the fan is sleeve bearing based, you'd hope the biggest
improvement, would be keeping the lubricant inside it!

Paul