HardwareBanter

-   Compaq Servers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Any know the compaq part number for a VRM for an ML350? (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=157489)

Trojan Hussar September 18th 07 11:06 AM

Any know the compaq part number for a VRM for an ML350?

I have a ML350 (G1) which is currently running a single PIII 600
(133MHz FSB), and it uses a VRM with the part numbers
330638-001/329267-001. I'm planning to drop a pair of 933MHz PIIIs
into it but will need a pair of VRMs for the new processors? I believe
I need a pair 155681-001 but I cannot find a definitive answer as to
if this is the correct model.

Anyone have any idea of the part numbers I need?

Many Thanks,
Jason.

peacekeeper September 18th 07 09:21 PM

On 18 sep, 12:06, Trojan Hussar wrote:
I have a ML350 (G1) which is currently running a single PIII 600
(133MHz FSB), and it uses a VRM with the part numbers
330638-001/329267-001. I'm planning to drop a pair of 933MHz PIIIs
into it but will need a pair of VRMs for the new processors? I believe
I need a pair 155681-001 but I cannot find a definitive answer as to
if this is the correct model.

Anyone have any idea of the part numbers I need?

Many Thanks,
Jason.

I would say you don't need other VRM's in case you happen to own the
933Mhz already, why don't you try with a single chip? In case it runs
smoothly you have the answer.
As far as I know a VRM is a VRM als long as it's a VRM . At least with
the IBM machines it is.

Finding out about the power consuption of the chip would help you as
well. Keep in mind that you might have to change some settings on the
board.

Phil[_9_] September 19th 07 03:31 AM

Any know the compaq part number for a VRM for an ML350?

"peacekeeper" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

A vrm is indeed a vrm, but like a woman they are not all equal.

The "older" G1 (generation 1) Compaq VRM's fall into two categories. First,
a lower current version that was for the P2/400 through the P3/550. The
second version is a higher current version for the P3/600 through P3/1000.
The slowest cpu I've seen in the ML350 is 733 so the vrm that's in there
will work on your 933.

There are quite a few numbers that are interchangeable but The 155681-001
157825-001 is the hi-current version for the 600 through the 1000 MHz cpu's

As long as you don't monkey with any board settings, the server will
auto-find and set itself up for the newer cpu. If you install two cpu's
where it had only one you will have to run the system configuration /setup
program for cpu #2 to be recognized.

I've got gobs of the parts for those older Compaq's including cpu's
500,550,600,667,733,850,933 and 1000's as well as vrm's we have been
unloading. If you need anything let me know.

Phil

Phil[_9_] September 19th 07 03:53 AM

Any know the compaq part number for a VRM for an ML350?

"Phil" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Just checked the 330638-001 that you have now is for the P3/400 through
P3/600.

Trojan Hussar September 19th 07 01:15 PM

On 18 Sep, 21:21, peacekeeper wrote:
[...]

I think from experience the cut off appears to be the 600MHz PIII
boundary, for some reason (probably power consumption) 600MHz PIII's
require different VRMs. I've now found a couple of references to
933MHz PIII processors being used with 155681-001 so I think I'll go
with them for now!

Many Thanks,
Jason

Jez T September 19th 07 04:54 PM

Any know the compaq part number for a VRM for an ML350?

"Trojan Hussar" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a ML350 (G1) which is currently running a single PIII 600
(133MHz FSB), and it uses a VRM with the part numbers
330638-001/329267-001. I'm planning to drop a pair of 933MHz PIIIs
into it but will need a pair of VRMs for the new processors? I believe
I need a pair 155681-001 but I cannot find a definitive answer as to
if this is the correct model.

Anyone have any idea of the part numbers I need?

Many Thanks,
Jason.

I thought the correct terminology was a Processor Power Module (PPM)

Use this:
http://partsurfer.hp.com/cgi-bin/spi/main

157825-001 Processor power module

?