HardwareBanter

-   Compaq Servers (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Multi-processor machine, only showing a single processor in OS (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=157488)

Trojan Hussar September 18th 07 10:47 AM

Multi-processor machine, only showing a single processor in OS

Thought I'd try here as I'm getting no help in Ubuntuforum.org...

I have a Proliant 5500 which is currently running three Xeon 550MHz
processors, I've installed Ubuntu Server 7.04 and it has auto detected
my setup and installed the generic i686 kernel (2.6.20-16 #2 SMP)
which as the name suggests is supposed to be SMP aware.

Problem is when I run 'cat /proc/cpuinfo' I only get details for one
processor, similarly in /sys/devices/system/cpu I only get an entry
for cpu0 when I should see cpu0, cpu1 and cpu2.

Anyone here shed some light on this?

Regards,
Jason.

Nut Cracker September 18th 07 05:55 PM

Multi-processor machine, only showing a single processor in OS

Yah, you have to go into the SCU and set yer OS to Unix/Other.

only then will you actually get 4 proc's in yer os.

- LC

--

ups.com...

Trojan Hussar September 19th 07 02:14 PM

Multi-processor machine, only showing a single processor in OS

On 18 Sep, 17:55, "NuT CrAcKeR"
wrote:
Yah, you have to go into the SCU and set yer OS to Unix/Other.

only then will you actually get 4 proc's in yer os.

- LC

--

"Trojan Hussar" wrote in message

ups.com...

Thought I'd try here as I'm getting no help in Ubuntuforum.org...

I have a Proliant 5500 which is currently running three Xeon 550MHz
processors, I've installed Ubuntu Server 7.04 and it has auto detected
my setup and installed the generic i686 kernel (2.6.20-16 #2 SMP)
which as the name suggests is supposed to be SMP aware.

Problem is when I run 'cat /proc/cpuinfo' I only get details for one
processor, similarly in /sys/devices/system/cpu I only get an entry
for cpu0 when I should see cpu0, cpu1 and cpu2.

Anyone here shed some light on this?

Regards,
Jason.- Hide quoted text -

I came across this problem before, when I went from one to two
processors and unfortunately the option is already set to Linux.
Everything worked fine running SME Server 6.01 which is based on
RedHat 7.2, but for some reason Ubuntu is returning an error of "SMP
motherboard not detected" and reverting to UP mode during boot. Which
is odd when you think RedHat 7.2 is a very old version and that worked
fine...

Regards,
Jason.

Trojan Hussar September 19th 07 02:39 PM

Multi-processor machine, only showing a single processor in OS [SOLVED!]

SOLVED!!!

I went into the SCU again, and set the OS type to 'Other' rebooted and
when it loaded the OS there was still only one CPU being reported. So
I used the SCU to change the OS back to Linux as it was before. I also
thought that the only difference between the old working RedHat 7.2
install and the non-working Ubuntu install was the fact I had added a
second NIC to the system, so I went and changed the IRQs on both
NICs.

When I rebooted I found I am now using all three processors (number
for coming soon!), so I'm not entirely sure if reseting the Linux flag
in the SCU did it, or the IRQ fo the two NICs.

Many Thanks,