HardwareBanter

-   Overclocking AMD Processors (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   I know how, but I don't know what pin. (http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?t=13763)

Dennis E Strausser Jr February 25th 04 07:24 AM

I know how, but I don't know what pin.

I'm not sure if I'm going to do it anyway, but I know there's a pin on the
2000+ that you can
cut to unlock the CPU's multiplier, which one is it?
Thanks.
Denny. :-) Always with a smile, even if times are bad.

Chip February 25th 04 09:49 AM

"Dennis E Strausser Jr" wrote in message
I'm not sure if I'm going to do it anyway, but I know there's a pin on the
2000+ that you can
cut to unlock the CPU's multiplier, which one is it?
Thanks.
Denny. :-) Always with a smile, even if times are bad.

There are three possibilties, depending on how old the CPU is.

If its "old" - like maybe 18months old - then it might be a Palomino chip,
in which case it can be unlocked by connecting all the L1 bridges.

If its more recent - but older than around September last year - then good
news; its unlocked already.

If its "new" - like after September 03, then its hard locked and -
practically speaking - there's nothing you can do to unlock it.

Chip.

Wes Newell February 25th 04 08:44 PM

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 01:24:24 -0500, Dennis E Strausser Jr wrote:

I'm not sure if I'm going to do it anyway, but I know there's a pin on
the 2000+ that you can cut to unlock the CPU's multiplier, which one is
it? Thanks.

There is no such pin. Which core 2000+ do you have, Palomino, Tbred A, or
Tbred B? What MB do you have? What are you trying to do?

Dennis E Strausser Jr February 25th 04 09:37 PM

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 01:24:24 -0500, Dennis E Strausser Jr wrote:

I'm not sure if I'm going to do it anyway, but I know there's a pin on
the 2000+ that you can cut to unlock the CPU's multiplier, which one is
it? Thanks.

There is no such pin. Which core 2000+ do you have, Palomino, Tbred A, or
Tbred B? What MB do you have? What are you trying to do?

It's a Thoroughbred b
I was only thinking after I sent to the group, I did forget MB Gigabyte
GA-7N400 (none of the extra's that some of these boards have.) But I don't
really need 4 IDE's 2 IEEE 1394 & Raid Sata just to Overclock.

http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard..._GA-7N400.htm# The
number thing is part of the URL

That kinda makes me wonder a little bit, even on here I see people going
with Pro Boards all the time.
Why & what would you want all those extra's for? From what I've seen so
far, and I have looked.
It's hard to even find a server case with much more then 8 drive bays, 12.
I have found one's with 12.
I can't remember who, but there's boards out there with dual sata quad ide &
Scsi on board.
It's got to be the Intel Xeon line somewhere, but I would't bet against
there being Athlon 64 Dual boards that can do it too.
one 120Gb is enough for me anyway. And I have a SCSI Card to hook up to if I
feel I need more room, it's max is 40MB/s

Sorry for that..
What can you tell me? I did re-set the board, so the cpu has to be locked if
it stays @ 12.5x & no higher.
Denny. :-) Always with a smile, even if times are bad.

Ben Pope February 25th 04 09:49 PM

Dennis E Strausser Jr wrote:
"Wes Newell" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 01:24:24 -0500, Dennis E Strausser Jr wrote:

I'm not sure if I'm going to do it anyway, but I know there's a pin on
the 2000+ that you can cut to unlock the CPU's multiplier, which one is
it? Thanks.

There is no such pin. Which core 2000+ do you have, Palomino, Tbred A,
or Tbred B? What MB do you have? What are you trying to do?

It's a Thoroughbred b
snip
What can you tell me? I did re-set the board, so the cpu has to be locked
if it stays @ 12.5x & no higher.
Denny. :-) Always with a smile, even if times are bad.

I think in your first post you were referring to changing the 5th bit of the
multiplier... this is done usually with a pin mod these days... it DOES NOT
UNLOCK the CPU, it only changes the 5th bit on an UNLOCKED CPU when the
motherboard does not ahve the ability to do so (many can only change the
first 4 bits of the multiplier).

You may have been confusing this with some of the older Athlon CPUs that
were locked - they could be unlocked by cutting bridges on the top of the
chip. New (ish) locked Athlon XPs (week 34 or thereabouts) cannot be
unlocked using this method.

Ben

Dennis E Strausser Jr February 26th 04 05:45 AM

"Ben Pope" wrote in message
Dennis E Strausser Jr wrote:
"Wes Newell" wrote in message
[...]

Oh, yeah well. I guess I'm stuck just changing the FSB, I can handle that.
Just trying to push the thing up to 2800+ or 2600+ Like as if 2000+ 1.67
to 2400+ 2.05 GHz is not a good Overclock for an
AMD anyway. vcore is a 7.5% and not just higher. I like that, either
really turn up the vcore, or tell your system to do it a little for you as
needed.
Shame this P4 don't have something like that, it's one of many reasons that
AMD is getting to be my Fav. system.

Wes Newell February 26th 04 09:07 AM

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 15:37:38 -0500, Dennis E Strausser Jr wrote:

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 01:24:24 -0500, Dennis E Strausser Jr wrote:

I'm not sure if I'm going to do it anyway, but I know there's a pin on
the 2000+ that you can cut to unlock the CPU's multiplier, which one is
it? Thanks.

There is no such pin. Which core 2000+ do you have, Palomino, Tbred A, or
Tbred B? What MB do you have? What are you trying to do?

It's a Thoroughbred b
I was only thinking after I sent to the group, I did forget MB Gigabyte
GA-7N400 (none of the extra's that some of these boards have.) But I don't
really need 4 IDE's 2 IEEE 1394 & Raid Sata just to Overclock.

What can you tell me? I did re-set the board, so the cpu has to be locked if
it stays @ 12.5x & no higher.

Assuming you are wanting to overclock this cpu, just set the FSB to 166Mhz
instead of 133. I'd also raise vcore to at least 1.65v to start with. As
long as you PC2700 (or faster) ram, you can leave it 1:1. If everything
goes weel there, you can slowly raise the FSB to get more speed, which
will probably also require more vcore and maybe a ram adjustment. I've had
my Tbred b up to 13x185 with 1.80v vcore. Didn't try any higher.

Dennis E Strausser Jr February 26th 04 11:02 AM

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
[...]

I pushed a little harder, and I switched the DDR 3200 from this P4 to the
AMD
I got it running 2600+ 2.1 GHz On some benchmark tests, I'm not far from
Matching Intel's P4c 3.2 Ghz
On mips, I beat it. Used Sisoftware Sandra 2004 Pro. Got it from an
(Unamed source.)
Mflops I'm almost in the middle of the two of the P4c 3.2 Ghz
I wonder how far I can get a already faster cpu.
PC 2700? I had PC2100 in it before, and I'm finding it's harder to
Overclock Xerox Memory then it is to Overclock no name Spec Tek INC Memory.
I also have to slow my P4 down just to stay stable with it in here.
Before I put it in, I was able to run 3.23 GHz no problem.
Which is better? Dah? huh? and what?
How's about, don't care anymore, and I want another AMD. Guess this Intel
fan has gone Sour on them.
It sucks to be Intel the more people like me that get tired of waiting for
them to do what ever.
And their new CPU Runs too hot, and don't run all that fast. If I remember
the benchmarks
on the (Prescott.) I read not so long ago, I'd about beat them
with my Overclocked 2000+ Eat My Dust, Intel fans.
Like I'm not still an Intel fan.
Denny. :-) always with a smile, (changed) cause my eyes are so dry, guess I
should go to bed.