PDA

View Full Version : Windows doesn't recognize sound card

Chaos Master
February 2nd 05, 04:14 AM
Hello.

I have sound card Aztech Sound III 336sp (modem + sound card combo).

I use only the sound part, since I already have a 56k modem.

Suddenly, Windows doesn't recognize my sound card. The Device Manager
control panel shows that it's installed - no hardware conflicts or
missing drivers, but when I go to the "Multimedia" settings, everything
is grayed out.

I removed the sound card and let Windows reinstall it, no change. I
entered Safe Mode and removed everything in the Device Manager related
to the sound card, and still no go.

In short: the sound card is installed but it is as if it was not
installed!

Q: What else can I try, before formatting and reinstalling Windows?

Thanks!
--
Chaos Master®, posting from Canoas, Brazil - 29.55° S / 51.11° W / GMT-
2h / 15m

"He [Babya] is like the Energizer Bunny of hopeless newsgroup
posting....or should that be Energizer bBunny"
- "ceed" on alt.comp.freeware, 24/1/2005

(to some groups: Yes, I use Windows and MS Office. So what?)

HF
February 2nd 05, 10:47 AM
Try another card !!At least before reinstalling. Dont panic.
"Chaos Master" > wrote in message
> Hello.
>
> I have sound card Aztech Sound III 336sp (modem + sound card combo).
>
> I use only the sound part, since I already have a 56k modem.
>
> Suddenly, Windows doesn't recognize my sound card. The Device Manager
> control panel shows that it's installed - no hardware conflicts or
> missing drivers, but when I go to the "Multimedia" settings, everything
> is grayed out.
>
> I removed the sound card and let Windows reinstall it, no change. I
> entered Safe Mode and removed everything in the Device Manager related
> to the sound card, and still no go.
>
> In short: the sound card is installed but it is as if it was not
> installed!
>
> Q: What else can I try, before formatting and reinstalling Windows?
>
> Thanks!
> --
> Chaos Master®, posting from Canoas, Brazil - 29.55° S / 51.11° W / GMT-
> 2h / 15m
>
> "He [Babya] is like the Energizer Bunny of hopeless newsgroup
> posting....or should that be Energizer bBunny"
> - "ceed" on alt.comp.freeware, 24/1/2005
>
> (to some groups: Yes, I use Windows and MS Office. So what?)

WebWalker
February 2nd 05, 03:25 PM
Move the sound card to another slot and reinstall the driver for it.
If it still doesn't, get a new card.

--
WebWalker

Chaos Master
February 3rd 05, 02:32 AM
This is WebWalker for forever:
> Move the sound card to another slot and reinstall the driver for it.
> If it still doesn't, get a new card.

Will try this.

Oddly enough, AIDA32 sees the card as a Plug-and-Play ISA device (I
suppose that, if the sound card was dead, it wouldn't be detected at
all).

[]s
--
Chaos Master®, posting from Canoas, Brazil - 29.55° S / 51.11° W / GMT-
2h / 15m

"He [Babya] is like the Energizer Bunny of hopeless newsgroup
posting....or should that be Energizer bBunny"
- "ceed" on alt.comp.freeware, 24/1/2005

(to some groups: Yes, I use Windows and MS Office. So what?)

Charlie Wilkes
February 10th 05, 04:22 PM
On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 02:14:25 -0200, Chaos Master >
wrote:

>Hello.
>
>I have sound card Aztech Sound III 336sp (modem + sound card combo).
>
>I use only the sound part, since I already have a 56k modem.
>
>Suddenly, Windows doesn't recognize my sound card. The Device Manager
>control panel shows that it's installed - no hardware conflicts or
>missing drivers, but when I go to the "Multimedia" settings, everything
>is grayed out.
>
>I removed the sound card and let Windows reinstall it, no change. I
>entered Safe Mode and removed everything in the Device Manager related
>to the sound card, and still no go.
>
>In short: the sound card is installed but it is as if it was not
>installed!
>
>Q: What else can I try, before formatting and reinstalling Windows?
>
>Thanks!

I would suggest you hit f2 when you boot or whatever gets you into
your bios. Maybe you need to change some settings.

Also when you look at your devices make sure there aren't any yellow
flags on the ones that control your board.

Charlie