PDA

View Full Version : Configuring sound card to old games

Sverre Johnsen
February 11th 04, 07:25 PM
I've got an old portable Toshiba computer (Satellite 300 CDT), with a
soundcard named Yamaha OPL3-SAx. I've recently got hold of the old PC
game Doom2, but the game isn't able to produce any sound. Of course,
the setup to this game has no "Yamaha OPL3"-option on the soundcard.
So the question is, how shall I configure the soundcard setup to the
game in order to make the sound work? When choosing soundcards such as
Soundblaster, a lot of options on DMA channel, IRQ-something and more
appears, and I have no idea what to choose. Anyone who can help?

Sverre Johnsen

mcheu
February 12th 04, 01:10 AM
On 11 Feb 2004 11:25:49 -0800, (Sverre Johnsen)
wrote::

>I've got an old portable Toshiba computer (Satellite 300 CDT), with a
>soundcard named Yamaha OPL3-SAx. I've recently got hold of the old PC
>game Doom2, but the game isn't able to produce any sound. Of course,
>the setup to this game has no "Yamaha OPL3"-option on the soundcard.
>So the question is, how shall I configure the soundcard setup to the
>game in order to make the sound work? When choosing soundcards such as
>Soundblaster, a lot of options on DMA channel, IRQ-something and more
>appears, and I have no idea what to choose. Anyone who can help?
>
>Sverre Johnsen

Have you tried any of the glDOOM/winDOOM patches for it? It will
improve the image quality, and it will be far less frustrating that
trying to configure a modern PCI sound card to emulate a sound blaster
for a protected mode game.

http://www.avault.com/pcrl/patches_temp.asp?patch=gldoom

Sadly the official webpage for winDOOM appears dead, but you can get
it from adrenaline vault.

A more recent variation on the theme is jDOOM. Their home page is
still there:

http://www.doomsdayhq.com/

There are have also been similar attempts to port DOOM over to Linux,
and even PDAs. You need to have the WAD files from the original DOS
games, those are in the DOOM2 game directory. The win32 DOOM ports
work with DOOM, DOOM2, and ULTIMATE DOOM wad files.

If you're still feeling particularly masochistic...

If the card is sound blaster compatible, or has a sound blaster
compatibility mode, the traditional settings are:

DMA1, IRQ 5 or 7, Port 220

Thanks,
MCheu