PDA

View Full Version : seismic edge vs audigy 2 LS: which sound card?!

freestone wilson
February 2nd 04, 09:07 PM
hi all....I am posting, pondering a $100 Question!

I have now a Philips Seismic Edge sound card, and it is OK with my
Altec lansing
2.1 speaker setup...two small speakers and a subwoofer.

I play lots of rpgs, I have just really gotten into Morrowind, having
installed the mods that add lots and lots of soundeffects.

Best Buy has a Deal on the Soundblaster Creative Audigy 2 Ls
soundcard. "only" $100!
but with my "ok" setup and with only the three speakers, it could be
OVERKILL for me to spend that much money.

oh what good reviews for the Audigy 2, though!!

I am hoping that there is/are someone here who has listened to both of
these soundcards, someone who actually can tell me if there is a
difference between them that works for *my* setup!
there is little other way that i can think of that compares the two
together than to ask here.......

I really like the immersiveness that good sound gives to me in
games...

i have a Athlon 1.4
gainward golden sample vid card.
win 98SE. 356 megs ram....

so please contrast and compare these two cards and i might then rest
in relative peace with my old card, or feel better about spending
$100!!

thanks...freestone

Tod
February 2nd 04, 09:50 PM
I've been using a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz for a few years, works great.
starts at $50 on www.pricewatch.com

Using Altec Lansing ACS56 speakers.

"freestone wilson" > wrote in message
om...
> hi all....I am posting, pondering a $100 Question!
>
> I have now a Philips Seismic Edge sound card, and it is OK with my
> Altec lansing
> 2.1 speaker setup...two small speakers and a subwoofer.
>
> I play lots of rpgs, I have just really gotten into Morrowind, having
> installed the mods that add lots and lots of soundeffects.
>
> Best Buy has a Deal on the Soundblaster Creative Audigy 2 Ls
> soundcard. "only" $100!
> but with my "ok" setup and with only the three speakers, it could be
> OVERKILL for me to spend that much money.
>
> oh what good reviews for the Audigy 2, though!!
>
> I am hoping that there is/are someone here who has listened to both of
> these soundcards, someone who actually can tell me if there is a
> difference between them that works for *my* setup!
> there is little other way that i can think of that compares the two
> together than to ask here.......
>
> I really like the immersiveness that good sound gives to me in
> games...
>
> i have a Athlon 1.4
> gainward golden sample vid card.
> win 98SE. 356 megs ram....
>
> so please contrast and compare these two cards and i might then rest
> in relative peace with my old card, or feel better about spending
> $100!!
>
> thanks...freestone

+CrimsonLiar
February 3rd 04, 12:08 AM
"freestone wilson" > wrote in message
om...

> Best Buy has a Deal on the Soundblaster Creative Audigy 2 Ls
> soundcard. "only" $100!
> but with my "ok" setup and with only the three speakers, it could be
> OVERKILL for me to spend that much money.
>
> oh what good reviews for the Audigy 2, though!!
>
> I am hoping that there is/are someone here who has listened to both of
> these soundcards, someone who actually can tell me if there is a
> difference between them that works for *my* setup!
> there is little other way that i can think of that compares the two
> together than to ask here.......

Personally I quite like the sound quality from the Phillips cards (more so
than say the TB SantaCruz). Yes the Audigy is going to sound better, but
not $100 better. I'd maybe hold onto your $100 and upgrade your CPU first.

CrimsonLiar