PDA

View Full Version : Re: Which sound card for a legacy-only DOS computer?

Io
December 15th 03, 02:57 PM
George Adams wrote:

> Thanks VERY much to everyone who replied! I decided to go with a non-PnP
> AWE32 (CT2760) after finding *one* online store that was selling it (not
> even eBay had 'em!) If that doesn't work, I'll try a sure-enough SB16
> (looks like there's tons of models of 'em though - I'll take the advice to
> avoid any with the Vibra chipset).

Avoid the "value" models too. I was ripped off with my first PC & given a
"value" SB16 instead of the real thing.

> I found this site to be quite helpful in identifying different SB models:
> http://www.tarigon.de/tramp/sblist.html
>
> (daytripper, to answer your question: SB16's on eBay are around $10 on a
> good day - probably typically more like $2 - $5)

The AWE32 is a pretty good card. I've got one from (I think) 1995 here, and I
was surprised by the audio quality. Be forewarned that it is physically
massive, and you may have some difficulty fitting it in your computer's case.
There are two sockets at the end of the board: those are for 30pin SIMM ram
modules.

I wonder if removing the ISA slots from motherboards was partially to drive
new hardware purchases. There seems to be a flood of perfectly good
second-hand ISA devices still around.

Michael
December 17th 03, 04:24 PM
Io wrote:

(snip)
> I wonder if removing the ISA slots from motherboards was partially to drive
> new hardware purchases. There seems to be a flood of perfectly good
> second-hand ISA devices still around.

Sure it was. They didn't delete ISA slots, retain the mb dimensions,
and fill the freed up real estate with PCI slots. They shrank the mb
and retained the (too few) number of slots (PCI, of course).

Yeah, there is a flood of functional ISA devices to be had. Pretty
cheap. Free, when I pull 'em outta the trash. Major label modems,
sound and video cards. The monitor I'm looking at right now is
controlled by a free Diamond Viper PCI.

Also a flood of "old" computers (mostly 133 MHz P54C's around here) with
both ISA and PCI slots. Last month I rescued 5 of these of a computer
shop's trash, 2 full-size towers and 2 mini-towers with AOpen mb's and
1995 AMI BIOS, and 1 mini-tower with 1998 Phoenix BIOS. Yesterday I put
a surplus 2.5 GB into one of the full tower boxes, gave it some EDO RAM,
and installed an OS. Lovely email machine.