PDA

View Full Version : Microphone for sound recording

mbarbet
September 11th 03, 04:17 AM
Hi!

My son just got a software called "SmartMusic" from his school and looking
for a nice microphone for his PC. He has a Dell Dimension 4600 w/ Windows
XP Home and integrated sound. We have checked out a local Best Buy and all
they have look cheap made and very low quality. Can any one suggest a nice
microphone for sound/music recording? Any help are greatly appreciated.
TIA

Jakob B. Olsen
September 11th 03, 10:42 AM
Go for the Shure SM58. It's the best allround microphone for the price.

"mbarbet" > wrote in message
. com...
> Hi!
>
> My son just got a software called "SmartMusic" from his school and looking
> for a nice microphone for his PC. He has a Dell Dimension 4600 w/ Windows
> XP Home and integrated sound. We have checked out a local Best Buy and
all
> they have look cheap made and very low quality. Can any one suggest a
nice
> microphone for sound/music recording? Any help are greatly appreciated.
> TIA

CJT
September 11th 03, 06:49 PM
Jakob B. Olsen wrote:

> Go for the Shure SM58. It's the best allround microphone for the price.

While there is some truth in what you say, I found out the hard way that
not all PC sound cards will play nice with an SM58. It might be
necessary to insert some amplification (perhaps in the form of a mixer)
between the two. At the very least, an XLR to mini plug converter will
be needed.

> "mbarbet" > wrote in message
> . com...
>
>>Hi!
>>
>>My son just got a software called "SmartMusic" from his school and looking
>>for a nice microphone for his PC. He has a Dell Dimension 4600 w/ Windows
>>XP Home and integrated sound. We have checked out a local Best Buy and
>
> all
>
>>they have look cheap made and very low quality. Can any one suggest a
>
> nice
>
>>microphone for sound/music recording? Any help are greatly appreciated.
>>TIA

Rob
September 12th 03, 09:40 AM
CJT wrote:

> Jakob B. Olsen wrote:
>
> > Go for the Shure SM58. It's the best allround microphone for the price.
>
> While there is some truth in what you say, I found out the hard way that
> not all PC sound cards will play nice with an SM58. It might be
> necessary to insert some amplification (perhaps in the form of a mixer)
> between the two. At the very least, an XLR to mini plug converter will
> be needed.

Lots of truth actually. The SM58 is a vocal mic of choice for a lot of
live artists (and even studio work, although the Neuman's/AKG's/Sony's
etc take over here usually!). The issue is that the mic input of
consumer grade cards have dreadful pre-amps and you will lose most of
the gains of using a decent mic!

The way round it is to also get a decent mic pre-amp and feed the output
of this into the line-in of the soundcard.

If your son may want to record other instruments( e.g. guitar,
electronic keyboards etc) in the nerar future, then you might find a
cheap mixer may be worth it (and ignore the pre-amp, which are generally
expensive),
and connect the output of that (stereo) to the PC line-in connector. The
mixer will have some basic mic pre-amp (but again, you gets what you
pay for, but if you are using the on-board soundcard, don't expect
wonders, compared to professional grade soundcards and mixers.)

The pre-amp/mixer route will also help you get round the issue of
connecting an XLR connector to a weeny 3.5mm stereo jack. Much easier to
make 1/4" TRS jacks to 3.5mm jack (you can even buy them ready made).

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Rob

--
Rob Fletcher, University of York, UK