PDA

View Full Version : Can't erase vdms.

MCheu
July 18th 03, 05:51 PM
VDMS is a DOS window soundcard emulator for winNT systems. I'm having
trouble erasing a file from vdms (launchpad.dll). It's not even part
of the installed files, this is the version of the file that I
downloaded and used to install on the system. It's in a D:\temp
directory I created after I downloaded and extracted the zip. D: is
my data storage hard drive.

Now, when I try to erase it, windowsXP won't let me. It complains
with a dialog like:

"Error deleting LaunchPad: Access is denied

Make sure that the disk is not full or write protected and that the
file is not in use"

WinXP has set the file and the directory it's in as Read-Only, and all
attempts to uncheck that have failed. No error messages, it just
comes back up as Read-Only when I look at the directory and the file.
I've uninstalled VDMS from the system and hunted down every reference
I could to VDMS and LaunchPad from my registry. I've even tried
erasing it from the command line, but it also gives me an error about
it being write protected.

This is just plain weird.

Thanks,

MCheu

Arny Krueger
July 19th 03, 10:57 AM
"MCheu" > wrote in message

> VDMS is a DOS window soundcard emulator for winNT systems. I'm having
> trouble erasing a file from vdms (launchpad.dll). It's not even part
> of the installed files, this is the version of the file that I
> downloaded and used to install on the system. It's in a D:\temp
> directory I created after I downloaded and extracted the zip. D: is
> my data storage hard drive.
>
> Now, when I try to erase it, windowsXP won't let me. It complains
> with a dialog like:
>
> "Error deleting LaunchPad: Access is denied
>
> Make sure that the disk is not full or write protected and that the
> file is not in use"
>
> WinXP has set the file and the directory it's in as Read-Only, and all
> attempts to uncheck that have failed. No error messages, it just
> comes back up as Read-Only when I look at the directory and the file.
> I've uninstalled VDMS from the system and hunted down every reference
> I could to VDMS and LaunchPad from my registry. I've even tried
> erasing it from the command line, but it also gives me an error about
> it being write protected.
>
> This is just plain weird.

What happens if you boot XP in safe mode and try to delete the file?

MCheu
July 19th 03, 11:01 PM
"Arny Krueger" > wrote in message >...

> What happens if you boot XP in safe mode and try to delete the file?

Thanks. Worked beautifully.

Thanks,

MCheu