PDA

View Full Version : Videoconference freeware???

mike
December 12th 03, 10:16 AM
I'm trying to set up videoconferencing to talk to the folks back home.
Netmeeting seemed like it would be ideal because it's already
on the system.

So, I hooked two computers up via 100Mb ethernet as a testbed.
The video works, but the sound is HORRIBLE. Sounds like gargling.
This ain't gonna get better over a dialup connection...is it?

I've messed with the settings, tried all the codecs.
The microphones and speakers work fine
on both ends with other audio programs.

I can't believe it's this bad. Is there something not-so-obvious that
I should change?
Also just learned that netmeeting is no longer supported and the online
translators from email address to IP address no longer function.

Alternative Freeware that can connect directly to an IP address without
a reflector?

Thanks, mike

Toshiba & Compaq LiIon Batteries, Test Equipment
Honda CB-125S
TEK Sampling Sweep Plugin and RM564
Tek 2465 $800, ham radio, 30pS pulser

RG
December 12th 03, 12:14 PM
Try clicking on the 'microphone boost' box in your mixer settings.

Best regards,

RG

"mike" > wrote in message ...
> I'm trying to set up videoconferencing to talk to the folks back home.
> Netmeeting seemed like it would be ideal because it's already
> on the system.
>
> So, I hooked two computers up via 100Mb ethernet as a testbed.
> The video works, but the sound is HORRIBLE. Sounds like gargling.
> This ain't gonna get better over a dialup connection...is it?
>
> I've messed with the settings, tried all the codecs.
> The microphones and speakers work fine
> on both ends with other audio programs.
>
> I can't believe it's this bad. Is there something not-so-obvious that
> I should change?
> Also just learned that netmeeting is no longer supported and the online
> translators from email address to IP address no longer function.
>
> Alternative Freeware that can connect directly to an IP address without
> a reflector?
>
> Thanks, mike
>
> --
> Bunch of stuff For Sale and Wanted at the link below.
> Toshiba & Compaq LiIon Batteries, Test Equipment
> Honda CB-125S
> TEK Sampling Sweep Plugin and RM564
> Tek 2465 $800, ham radio, 30pS pulser
> Tektronix Concept Books, spot welding head...
> http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Monitor/4710/

Noël
December 12th 03, 04:05 PM
"mike" > wrote in message ...
| I'm trying to set up videoconferencing to talk to the folks back home.
| Netmeeting seemed like it would be ideal because it's already
| on the system.
|
| So, I hooked two computers up via 100Mb ethernet as a testbed.
| The video works, but the sound is HORRIBLE. Sounds like gargling.
| This ain't gonna get better over a dialup connection...is it?
|
| I've messed with the settings, tried all the codecs.
| The microphones and speakers work fine
| on both ends with other audio programs.
|
| I can't believe it's this bad. Is there something not-so-obvious that
| I should change?
| Also just learned that netmeeting is no longer supported and the online
| translators from email address to IP address no longer function.
|
| Alternative Freeware that can connect directly to an IP address without
| a reflector?
|
| Thanks, mike

Hello Mike,

Have a look at Microsoft Portrait
(http://research.microsoft.com/~jiangli/portrait)
It's free and works really well!
All you need to do to make a call is enter the IP nr.

Noël
http://webcam.kijk.info
(online from AM 9 till PM 9 CET)

mike
December 13th 03, 09:09 AM
Noël wrote:
> "mike" > wrote in message ...
> | I'm trying to set up videoconferencing to talk to the folks back home.
> | Netmeeting seemed like it would be ideal because it's already
> | on the system.
> |
> | So, I hooked two computers up via 100Mb ethernet as a testbed.
> | The video works, but the sound is HORRIBLE. Sounds like gargling.
> | This ain't gonna get better over a dialup connection...is it?
> |
> | I've messed with the settings, tried all the codecs.
> | The microphones and speakers work fine
> | on both ends with other audio programs.
> |
> | I can't believe it's this bad. Is there something not-so-obvious that
> | I should change?
> | Also just learned that netmeeting is no longer supported and the online
> | translators from email address to IP address no longer function.
> |
> | Alternative Freeware that can connect directly to an IP address without
> | a reflector?
> |
> | Thanks, mike
> |

> Hello Mike,
>
> Have a look at Microsoft Portrait
> (http://research.microsoft.com/~jiangli/portrait)
> It's free and works really well!
> All you need to do to make a call is enter the IP nr.

Sounds interesting. I'm getting nothing from the above link.
Just a blank window and an hourglass cursor...forever...
mike

Noël
December 13th 03, 09:19 AM
"mike" > wrote in message ...
| Noël wrote:
| > "mike" > wrote in message
| > | I'm trying to set up videoconferencing to talk to the folks back home.
| > | Netmeeting seemed like it would be ideal because it's already
| > | on the system.
| > |
| > | So, I hooked two computers up via 100Mb ethernet as a testbed.
| > | The video works, but the sound is HORRIBLE. Sounds like gargling.
| > | This ain't gonna get better over a dialup connection...is it?
| > |
| > | I've messed with the settings, tried all the codecs.
| > | The microphones and speakers work fine
| > | on both ends with other audio programs.
| > |
| > | I can't believe it's this bad. Is there something not-so-obvious that
| > | I should change?
| > | Also just learned that netmeeting is no longer supported and the
online
| > | translators from email address to IP address no longer function.
| > |
| > | Alternative Freeware that can connect directly to an IP address
without
| > | a reflector?
| > |
| > | Thanks, mike
| > |

| > Hello Mike,
| >
| > Have a look at Microsoft Portrait
| > (http://research.microsoft.com/~jiangli/portrait)
| > It's free and works really well!
| > All you need to do to make a call is enter the IP nr.
| >

| Sounds interesting. I'm getting nothing from the above link.
| Just a blank window and an hourglass cursor...forever...
| mike

Strange.. the link is working fine for me.
Try http://research.microsoft.com/~jiangli/ and follow the portrait link, or
do a search on microsofts site for "portrait".

Noël
http://webcam.kijk.info
(online from AM 9 till PM 9 CET)

mike
December 13th 03, 09:39 AM
Noël wrote:
> "mike" > wrote in message ...
> | Noël wrote:
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |
> online
> | > |
> without
> | > |
> | > |

> | > Hello Mike,
> | >
> | > Have a look at Microsoft Portrait
> | > (http://research.microsoft.com/~jiangli/portrait)
> | > It's free and works really well!
> | > All you need to do to make a call is enter the IP nr.
> | >

> | Sounds interesting. I'm getting nothing from the above link.
> | Just a blank window and an hourglass cursor...forever...
> | mike
> |

> Strange.. the link is working fine for me.
> Try http://research.microsoft.com/~jiangli/ and follow the portrait link, or
> do a search on microsofts site for "portrait".
>
> Noël
> http://webcam.kijk.info
> (online from AM 9 till PM 9 CET)

Strange indeed. I get nothing from research.microsoft.com.
When I search the main site and clik on the links to portrait,
I get the same blank screens and hourglass cursors forever...
no timeout, no page not found, no nothing.
Tried netscape and opera, same thing. I don't have IE.
mike

Toshiba & Compaq LiIon Batteries, Test Equipment
Honda CB-125S
TEK Sampling Sweep Plugin and RM564
Tek 2465 $800, ham radio, 30pS pulser

RG
December 13th 03, 12:34 PM
Did you try the microphone 'boost' box select suggestion?

RG

"mike" > wrote in message ...
> Noël wrote:
> > | > |
> > | > |
> > | > |
> > online
> > | > |
> > without
> > | > |
> > | > |

> > | Sounds interesting. I'm getting nothing from the above link.
> > | Just a blank window and an hourglass cursor...forever...
> > | mike
> > |

> > Strange.. the link is working fine for me.
> > Try http://research.microsoft.com/~jiangli/ and follow the portrait
link, or
> > do a search on microsofts site for "portrait".
> >
> > Noël
> > http://webcam.kijk.info
> > (online from AM 9 till PM 9 CET)
>

> Strange indeed. I get nothing from research.microsoft.com.
> When I search the main site and clik on the links to portrait,
> I get the same blank screens and hourglass cursors forever...
> no timeout, no page not found, no nothing.
> Tried netscape and opera, same thing. I don't have IE.
> mike
>
> --
> Bunch of stuff For Sale and Wanted at the link below.
> Toshiba & Compaq LiIon Batteries, Test Equipment
> Honda CB-125S
> TEK Sampling Sweep Plugin and RM564
> Tek 2465 $800, ham radio, 30pS pulser
> Tektronix Concept Books, spot welding head...
> http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Monitor/4710/

mike
December 13th 03, 07:36 PM
RG wrote:
> Did you try the microphone 'boost' box select suggestion?
>
> RG
I don't seem to have that option in my mixer.

My laptop has IE, I can go try to get portrait with that.