PDA

View Full Version : Motion sensor....what cams have this in there software

Muttsdanglers
November 16th 03, 10:30 PM
Hi guys
I am looking to buy a webcam, but it must have the ability to start when
someone walks into it field of view

What do you think?

Paul

Bar Bar Black Sheep
November 16th 03, 10:48 PM
Bought a labtec to day seems OK uk price £19.99 no microphone resolution not
to good. Assume you need to keep capture software running

Adrian

"Muttsdanglers" > wrote in message
> Hi guys
> I am looking to buy a webcam, but it must have the ability to start when
> someone walks into it field of view
>
> What do you think?
>
> Paul

Tony Sivori
November 20th 03, 11:35 PM
Muttsdanglers wrote:

> Hi guys
> I am looking to buy a webcam, but it must have the ability to start when
> someone walks into it field of view

Creative has a cheap model, the Creative Webcam model PD1001 that has
motion sensing software included. I got one of these at Best Buy for $5
after rebate.

Good for the price, but the motion sensing is not IR, instead it actually
sees any change in the camera's field of view as motion. This includes
changes in lighting as the sun progresses across the sky. And anytime a
cloud passes. Many days I have logged over 100 events, all false alarms.

If I had paid good money for this cam, I'd be not very pleased. Since I
got it for $5, I'm not complaining.

Anyway, if you're still interested look for Creative webcams that include
"Webcam Monitor" software.

Oh, and watch out for the creative drivers. They put freeaol.com in your
Trusted Sites Zone. *******s.

--
Tony Sivori

mike
November 21st 03, 12:18 AM
Tony Sivori wrote:
> Muttsdanglers wrote:
>

>>Hi guys
>>I am looking to buy a webcam, but it must have the ability to start when
>>someone walks into it field of view
>

> Creative has a cheap model, the Creative Webcam model PD1001 that has
> motion sensing software included. I got one of these at Best Buy for $5
> after rebate.
>
> Good for the price, but the motion sensing is not IR, instead it actually
> sees any change in the camera's field of view as motion. This includes
> changes in lighting as the sun progresses across the sky. And anytime a
> cloud passes. Many days I have logged over 100 events, all false alarms.
>
> If I had paid good money for this cam, I'd be not very pleased. Since I
> got it for $5, I'm not complaining.
>
> Anyway, if you're still interested look for Creative webcams that include
> "Webcam Monitor" software.
>
> Oh, and watch out for the creative drivers. They put freeaol.com in your
> Trusted Sites Zone. *******s.

I found some really cool software. It's designed go convert images to
sound for navigation by blind people. Twain compliant and has some neat
tools for edge detection, motion detection etc.
If we could figure out how to get some data out of the program, it could
be very useful.
mike
file:///D:/netcd/net27/hobby/seewithsound/The%20vOICe%20-%20Seeing%20with%20Sound.html

laptops and parts Test Equipment
Honda CB-125S
TEK Sampling Sweep Plugin and RM564
Tek 2465 $800, ham radio, 30pS pulser

Tony Sivori
November 25th 03, 04:05 AM
mike wrote:
> I found some really cool software. It's designed go convert images to
> sound for navigation by blind people. Twain compliant and has some neat
> tools for edge detection, motion detection etc. If we could figure out
> how to get some data out of the program, it could be very useful. mike
> file:///D:/netcd/net27/hobby/seewithsound/The%20vOICe%20-%20Seeing%20with%20Sound.html

The link doesn't work for me.

Anyway, here's an open source GPL program that does motion detection in
Linux. Since it is open source, if you are a programmer it might not be
too difficult to port it to Windows.
http://www.turbolinux.com.cn/~merlin/mvc/

--
Tony Sivori

Fabien LE LEZ
November 26th 03, 06:14 PM
On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 23:05:03 -0500, Tony Sivori
> wrote:

>> file:///D:/netcd/net27/hobby/seewithsound/The%20vOICe%20-%20Seeing%20with%20Sound.html
>
>The link doesn't work for me.

No wonder, it's a link to a local file (on his hard disk) ~_~

--
;-)