PDA

View Full Version : Trying to see camera from internet with no success...

jtpr
November 10th 03, 02:55 PM
OK, this is driving me crazy. I want to see streaming video from my Axis
Webcam on my LAN at home. The layout is:

Internet-->Cable Modem-->Netgear MR814 Router-->LAN.

I have port forwarding set up to point to 192.168.0.200, the video camera,
on ports 7000-8000. I have a DHCP address from the ISP that remains pretty
constant, call it 64.15.27.100. I test this at home by going to another
system and using a dialup connection to another provider and trying to
connect. I have used 64.15.27.100, 64.15.27.100:7070, nothing. I can
connect to the camera on the LAN. It does FTP images up to a server every
30 secs with no problem. Also, I should be able to remote administer the
router, can't do that either. Also tried to connect at work with no luck.

What am I doing wrong?

--
-Jim
©¿©¬

If you want to reply by email its --> ryan at jimryan dot com
Please use BCC and lets all avoid spam

Velvet
November 10th 03, 03:10 PM
jtpr wrote:

> OK, this is driving me crazy. I want to see streaming video from my Axis
> Webcam on my LAN at home. The layout is:
>
> Internet-->Cable Modem-->Netgear MR814 Router-->LAN.
>
> I have port forwarding set up to point to 192.168.0.200, the video camera,
> on ports 7000-8000. I have a DHCP address from the ISP that remains pretty
> constant, call it 64.15.27.100. I test this at home by going to another
> system and using a dialup connection to another provider and trying to
> connect. I have used 64.15.27.100, 64.15.27.100:7070, nothing. I can
> connect to the camera on the LAN. It does FTP images up to a server every
> 30 secs with no problem. Also, I should be able to remote administer the
> router, can't do that either. Also tried to connect at work with no luck.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

If you are dialled up, can you successfully tracert/traceroute back
through from the dial up to the dhcp'd address that the camera sits
behind? if so, can you ping your dial-up ip address from the webcam pc?

Have you set up port forwarding correctly on the netgear, is it the
right type (udp/tcp/both)?

Have you checked logs (if there are such things that you can enable) on
the netgear router to determine which packets are being passed through
and which are being dropped?

Have you got your subnet masking right, and are you sure your cable
modem ISP isn't using the 192.168 range for their stuff (telewest, for
example, uses 192.168 as internal range for their cable modem so you
need to use something else as your internal network on your lan) -
though if these were wrong I suspect ftp from the camera host on your
lan to the server on the internet (that is where it is, I assume?) would
fail.

Velvet

jtpr
November 10th 03, 05:16 PM
Thank you.

The cable modem stuff you speak of could be weak link in this. I know the
address of the cable modem is 192.168.100.1, with a subnet mask of
255.255.255.0. So, this being the case, are we dealing with a double NAT so
to speak? In other words it would look like...

Some IP address from ISP--->Cable Modem-->192.168.100.1-->address of WAN
port given my cable modem-->Netgear-->192.168.99.1.

So I would need to map THROUGH the CM to get to the Netgear. How would I do
this?

--
-Jim
©¿©¬

"Velvet" > wrote in message
> jtpr wrote:
>
> > OK, this is driving me crazy. I want to see streaming video from my
Axis
> > Webcam on my LAN at home. The layout is:
> >
> > Internet-->Cable Modem-->Netgear MR814 Router-->LAN.
> >
> > I have port forwarding set up to point to 192.168.0.200, the video
camera,
> > on ports 7000-8000. I have a DHCP address from the ISP that remains
pretty
> > constant, call it 64.15.27.100. I test this at home by going to another
> > system and using a dialup connection to another provider and trying to
> > connect. I have used 64.15.27.100, 64.15.27.100:7070, nothing. I can
> > connect to the camera on the LAN. It does FTP images up to a server
every
> > 30 secs with no problem. Also, I should be able to remote administer
the
> > router, can't do that either. Also tried to connect at work with no
luck.

> > What am I doing wrong?
> >

> If you are dialled up, can you successfully tracert/traceroute back
> through from the dial up to the dhcp'd address that the camera sits
> behind? if so, can you ping your dial-up ip address from the webcam pc?
>
> Have you set up port forwarding correctly on the netgear, is it the
> right type (udp/tcp/both)?
>
> Have you checked logs (if there are such things that you can enable) on
> the netgear router to determine which packets are being passed through
> and which are being dropped?
>
> Have you got your subnet masking right, and are you sure your cable
> modem ISP isn't using the 192.168 range for their stuff (telewest, for
> example, uses 192.168 as internal range for their cable modem so you
> need to use something else as your internal network on your lan) -
> though if these were wrong I suspect ftp from the camera host on your
> lan to the server on the internet (that is where it is, I assume?) would
> fail.
>
> Velvet

RickB
November 10th 03, 05:20 PM
First of all, check to see that your cable modem doesn't also have a built
in firewall - many do. Start if with a simple test. Forward port 80 to a
Web server on your LAN and see if you can access that. At least in that
case you know that you only need that one port open for access - a simpler
test.

The router will automatically prevent access to its administrative console
from the WAN. Some allow you to configure this differently, but it is a
very bad idea and could compromise your security. A better idea would be to
setup either a VPN connection on W2K or Remote Desktop on WinXP. Just open
up port 1723, which is the PPTP port. Then you can VPN into your lan and
bring up the administrative console that way.

"jtpr" > wrote in message
> OK, this is driving me crazy. I want to see streaming video from my Axis
> Webcam on my LAN at home. The layout is:
>
> Internet-->Cable Modem-->Netgear MR814 Router-->LAN.
>
> I have port forwarding set up to point to 192.168.0.200, the video camera,
> on ports 7000-8000. I have a DHCP address from the ISP that remains
pretty
> constant, call it 64.15.27.100. I test this at home by going to another
> system and using a dialup connection to another provider and trying to
> connect. I have used 64.15.27.100, 64.15.27.100:7070, nothing. I can
> connect to the camera on the LAN. It does FTP images up to a server every
> 30 secs with no problem. Also, I should be able to remote administer the
> router, can't do that either. Also tried to connect at work with no luck.
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> --
> -Jim
> ©¿©¬
>
> If you want to reply by email its --> ryan at jimryan dot com
> Please use BCC and lets all avoid spam

jtpr
November 10th 03, 05:43 PM
Actually, I did turn on the option to administer the router remotely, just
for testing. No luck, can't get to it.

--
-Jim
©¿©¬

"RickB" > wrote in message
> First of all, check to see that your cable modem doesn't also have a built
> in firewall - many do. Start if with a simple test. Forward port 80 to a
> Web server on your LAN and see if you can access that. At least in that
> case you know that you only need that one port open for access - a simpler
> test.
>
> The router will automatically prevent access to its administrative console
> from the WAN. Some allow you to configure this differently, but it is a
> very bad idea and could compromise your security. A better idea would be
> setup either a VPN connection on W2K or Remote Desktop on WinXP. Just
open
> up port 1723, which is the PPTP port. Then you can VPN into your lan and
> bring up the administrative console that way.
>
> "jtpr" > wrote in message
> > OK, this is driving me crazy. I want to see streaming video from my
Axis
> > Webcam on my LAN at home. The layout is:
> >
> > Internet-->Cable Modem-->Netgear MR814 Router-->LAN.
> >
> > I have port forwarding set up to point to 192.168.0.200, the video
camera,
> > on ports 7000-8000. I have a DHCP address from the ISP that remains
> pretty
> > constant, call it 64.15.27.100. I test this at home by going to another
> > system and using a dialup connection to another provider and trying to
> > connect. I have used 64.15.27.100, 64.15.27.100:7070, nothing. I can
> > connect to the camera on the LAN. It does FTP images up to a server
every
> > 30 secs with no problem. Also, I should be able to remote administer
the
> > router, can't do that either. Also tried to connect at work with no
luck.

> > What am I doing wrong?
> >
> > --
> > -Jim
> > ©¿©¬
> >
> > If you want to reply by email its --> ryan at jimryan dot com
> > Please use BCC and lets all avoid spam

Velvet
November 10th 03, 08:36 PM
jtpr wrote:

> Thank you.
>
> The cable modem stuff you speak of could be weak link in this. I know the
> address of the cable modem is 192.168.100.1, with a subnet mask of
> 255.255.255.0. So, this being the case, are we dealing with a double NAT so
> to speak? In other words it would look like...
>
> Some IP address from ISP--->Cable Modem-->192.168.100.1-->address of WAN
> port given my cable modem-->Netgear-->192.168.99.1.
>
> So I would need to map THROUGH the CM to get to the Netgear. How would I do
> this?

Ah, therein may well lie the problem. What mask are you using on your
network against the 192.168.0.x addresses?

The way cable modems normally work is that they have a 'private' addy
(in this case 192.168.100.1 - sounds like telewest LOL) on their lan
port, but that's used only for troubleshooting etc. You may find they
dish out a 192.168.100.something if they're asked for one and they're
not on the WAN side of the cable network.

However.

If they are connected and it's all hunkydory, then your router's
external-facing port should be assigned a 'public' ip address - 62.x.x.x
or whatever you gave as an example earlier. The internal-facing port of
that router should be configured as a separate network in one of the
private address spaces. I've got a telewest CM (since it sounds like
you might have too) and have successfully run a 192.168.1.x network
inside the 'user' side of the cable modem - may well be worth trying
that instead of the 192.168.0.x network (some routers don't always use
the first subnet correctly).

Other than that, only thing you can do is to check whatever logging you
have on the router, to try and establish if it's discarding rather than
forwarding stuff to that port. Also, check to make sure that is the
*only* port you need to forward, some webcam software I've used in the
past has needed more than one port forwarded, and has used one 8000ish
port number and one quite a bit lower than that.

Velvet

Tony Sutton
November 11th 03, 08:42 PM
"jtpr" > wrote in message
> OK, this is driving me crazy. I want to see streaming video from my Axis
> Webcam on my LAN at home. The layout is:

In addition to the helpful posting here, are you running Windows XP? If so,
do you have firewall enabled?

If so, ensure that you added these ports to the listing.

--

- Tony Sutton
- http://www.hyperboard.co.uk - The Biggest Message Board!