PDA

View Full Version : nightvision

Joe
November 6th 03, 07:50 PM
hey there peeps,
we have lately been having trouble at our house, eggs bein chucked
that is, anyways, i was thinkin, if we could have a cam that could see
at night then it would be great, i culd use motion detector etc. i
have tried my ordinary quickcam but it cant see at night...... so, i
want a cheap cam that can see in the dark, wireless would be a bonus
feature aswell.... any suggestions? oh yeah, and i dont really wanna
spend too much.
let me know what you think
thanx in advance!

mike
November 6th 03, 09:21 PM
Joe wrote:
> hey there peeps,
> we have lately been having trouble at our house, eggs bein chucked
> that is, anyways, i was thinkin, if we could have a cam that could see
> at night then it would be great, i culd use motion detector etc. i
> have tried my ordinary quickcam but it cant see at night...... so, i
> want a cheap cam that can see in the dark, wireless would be a bonus
> feature aswell.... any suggestions? oh yeah, and i dont really wanna
> spend too much.
> let me know what you think
> thanx in advance!

Use a motion sensing visible light and a regular webcam.
If the light scares them away, problem solved.
Sometimes you can remove the IR filter from a camera and use
IR illumination, YMMV.
FLIR SYSTEMS has some neato keen IR cameras.
mike

laptops and parts Test Equipment
4in/400Wout ham linear amp.
Honda CB-125S
Color LCD overhead projector
Tek 2465 $800, ham radio, 30pS pulser

Joe
November 6th 03, 09:41 PM
>Sometimes you can remove the IR filter from a camera and use
>IR illumination, YMMV.

how do i do that?

mike
November 6th 03, 09:48 PM
Joe wrote:
>>Sometimes you can remove the IR filter from a camera and use
>>IR illumination, YMMV.
>

> how do i do that?

Take apart the lens assembly. If there's an IR filter in there,
take it out. YMMV.
Point your tv remote into your cam and press the button. You'll see
the IR LED light up. Remove the filter and see if it gets more sensitive
to the IR. YOu don't need a color camera for IR, so a more sensitive
B/W camera may be helpful.
Did I mention YMMV?
mike

laptops and parts Test Equipment
4in/400Wout ham linear amp.
Honda CB-125S
Color LCD overhead projector
Tek 2465 $800, ham radio, 30pS pulser

Lothar
November 6th 03, 10:12 PM
In article >,
Joe > wrote:

> >Sometimes you can remove the IR filter from a camera and use
> >IR illumination, YMMV.
>
> how do i do that?

depends on the camera. open it up. you'll see a coloured glass or
plastic sheet between the lens and the image sensor. git rid of it and
be amazed how much better it sees in low light.

Velvet
November 7th 03, 10:26 AM
Joe wrote:
> hey there peeps,
> we have lately been having trouble at our house, eggs bein chucked
> that is, anyways, i was thinkin, if we could have a cam that could see
> at night then it would be great, i culd use motion detector etc. i
> have tried my ordinary quickcam but it cant see at night...... so, i
> want a cheap cam that can see in the dark, wireless would be a bonus
> feature aswell.... any suggestions? oh yeah, and i dont really wanna
> spend too much.
> let me know what you think
> thanx in advance!

Had the same problem, but went from eggs to theft of very low value
stuff (but still bloody annoying) from the front garden. I tried
webcams too, but even with a streetlight right outside, it couldn't see
anything at night. Eventually invested 100 quid in an infra-red black
and white cctv camera, which I hooked into the video to tape overnight.
Long play tape gives me about 7.5 hours footage, which is enough.

Camera has a ring of red led's aroudn it (the infra-red) which can be
seen if you're looking straight at it, invisible from each side (as leds
tend to be). Wide-angle lens on it covers an area about 15' wide at
about 15-20' distance from the house - which is about what's recommended
distance-wise for the IR beam to illuminate.

Excellent purchase, has provided me with much footage of my cats and the
foxes playing in the front garden at night, and has deterred the little
*******s from throwing/stealing stuff since it was installed.

Bit of a shame they didnt' do it again, I was intending sueing them for
the cost of having to get the cctv, but it's useful regardless and one
day might migrate to cover part of the approach to the house (not via
front garden bizarrely) as well as part front garden.

Not a cheap solution, but I doubt you're going to get a night-vision and
wireless solution for less than at least a couple of hundred. Mine's
cabled, not wireless.

Velvet

Velvet
November 10th 03, 08:47 PM
NiŠk wrote:

> On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 10:26:44 GMT, Velvet > wrote:
>
> |Not a cheap solution, but I doubt you're going to get a night-vision and
> |wireless solution for less than at least a couple of hundred. Mine's
> |cabled, not wireless.
> |

> Interesting,
>
> what did you buy ?
>
> URL ?

http://www.y3kstore.com/products.php?productId=137

They also have colour day/b&wIR night cams available which they didn't
have when I got mine, or if they did, were horribly expensive. Bear in
mind this is NOT a webcam, though they do sell solutions for pc as well.

Velvet

Velvet
November 10th 03, 08:48 PM
NiŠk wrote:

> On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 10:26:44 GMT, Velvet > wrote:
>
> |Not a cheap solution, but I doubt you're going to get a night-vision and
> |wireless solution for less than at least a couple of hundred. Mine's
> |cabled, not wireless.
> |

> Interesting,
>
> what did you buy ?
>
> URL ?

Oh, meant to say. If it's online, you can get an idea of image quality
via my website. http://www.velvetpurrs.com/html/webcam_ftp_2.html
(slightly complicated, but it routes via the video, then to my tv-tuner
card on the pc, and is then webcam-xp'd out to the website from there).

Velvet