PDA

View Full Version : HomeConnect/Watchport

RG
October 24th 03, 01:12 AM
Are these two cameras internally the same? The outside looks like they are
the same. Best regards,
RG

David Pinero
October 27th 03, 05:01 AM
On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 20:12:13 -0400, "RG" > wrote:

>Are these two cameras internally the same? The outside looks like they are
>the same. Best regards,

Yep, and both these are based on the 3Com BigPicture Cam which looks
completely different. The pride of Watchport is that it uses the
image chip of HomeConnect, which itself was a carry over from the
3Com.

There's a reason for that. These are simply the best tethered webcams
available if a tethered webcam is all you need. By "tethered" I mean
USB type webcams or similar units that are attached directly to the
PC. What sets these apart specifically is the ability (or really,
Watchport's ability, assuming they didn't dumb it down), to see in
extremely low light conditions. Few cameras sold as standard
"webcams" can see so clearly in such little light. They are
industrial grade cameras where image quality is concerned, sold at
consumer grade webcam prices. Because of their unique low-light
talent they can be used for round-the-clock webcam presentations where
few if any others of its class can. I'm sure if 3Com or HomeConnect
had realized back when webcams were just catching on that competitors
would mass produce an entire market of crappier webcams and actually
*sell* them, they would have doubled the price and probably targeted
industrial customers instead.

The only problem is that the Watchport IS a tethered-based cam system
meaning you'll only effectively run one at a time per PC. It's also
now a USB webcam so I don't know if that changes its overall reputed
quality level. Someone who actually owns one can probably take that
question from here.

Dave