PDA

View Full Version : Free P2P Video conferenceing software?

Stein Arne Storslett
October 10th 03, 07:48 AM
Hi, I'm on the look-out for some video conferencing software.

I've just started with this and I have my camera up and running, I've
used MS Netmeeting for two way video conferences. But Netmeeting does
_not_ support meetings with multiple people in video. Only two
attendants can have video, while the rest are restricted to the other
meeting features.

I want:
- Video and sound
- Meeting with several people by video, where everybody can se each
other (PIP, or other)
- Connection should be P2P. _NO_ third party server (preferably...).
- Price _is_ an issue...

Suggestions for both Linux and Windows are welcome, although I've been
stupid enough to buy a camera which isn't supported in Linux (yet).

Thank you.

--
Stein Arne

Stein Arne Storslett
October 11th 03, 03:14 PM
> wrote in >:
Hi, I'm on the look-out for some video conferencing software.

I've just started with this and I have my camera up and running, I've
used MS Netmeeting for two way video conferences. But Netmeeting does
_not_ support meetings with multiple people in video. Only two
attendants can have video, while the rest are restricted to the other
meeting features.

I want:
- Video and sound
- Meeting with several people by video, where everybody can se each
other (PIP, or other)
- Connection should be P2P. _NO_ third party server (preferably...).
- Price _is_ an issue...

Suggestions for both Linux and Windows are welcome, although I've been
stupid enough to buy a camera which isn't supported in Linux (yet).

Thank you.

--
Stein Arne

MARTI
October 12th 03, 10:23 AM
"Stein Arne Storslett" > schreef in
bericht ...
> > wrote in
>:
> Hi, I'm on the look-out for some video conferencing software.
>
> I've just started with this and I have my camera up and running, I've
> used MS Netmeeting for two way video conferences. But Netmeeting does
> _not_ support meetings with multiple people in video. Only two
> attendants can have video, while the rest are restricted to the other
> meeting features.
>
> I want:
> - Video and sound
> - Meeting with several people by video, where everybody can se each
> other (PIP, or other)
> - Connection should be P2P. _NO_ third party server (preferably...).
> - Price _is_ an issue...
>
> Suggestions for both Linux and Windows are welcome, although I've been
> stupid enough to buy a camera which isn't supported in Linux (yet).
>
> Thank you.
>
> --
> Stein Arne

www.ivisit.com

October 12th 03, 04:32 PM
>> Suggestions for both Linux and Windows are welcome, although I've been
>> stupid enough to buy a camera which isn't supported in Linux (yet).

What web can did you buy above that isn't supported in
Linux?

Also..... anyone have real life experience with this
"iVisit"?

John

Stein Arne Storslett
October 13th 03, 07:59 AM
> wrote in >:
>>> Suggestions for both Linux and Windows are welcome, although I've been
>>> stupid enough to buy a camera which isn't supported in Linux (yet).
>
> What web can did you buy above that isn't supported in
> Linux?

Logitech(...) Quickcam Messenger.

I've scanned:
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.quickcam.devel
http://qce-ga.sourceforge.net/
http://groups.google.com
http://www.google.com

No dice.

I'm running RedHat 9.0 (Shrike)
$ cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.4.20-20.9 )
(gcc version 3.2.2 20030222 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.2-5))
#1 Mon Aug 18 11:45:58 EDT 2003

So of course input on that front will also be appreciated.

But while I can't have this I'll settle for some input on the video
conferencing systems (for now).

--
Stein Arne

October 13th 03, 03:05 PM
>> What web can did you buy above that isn't supported in
>> Linux?
>
>Logitech(...) Quickcam Messenger.

OK

So would you avoid buying a Logitech cam if you might
want to try Linux some day?

If yes.... what webcam WOULD you buy? For both Linux
and Windows?

John

Stein Arne Storslett
October 14th 03, 07:26 AM
> wrote in >:
>>> What web can did you buy above that isn't supported in
>>> Linux?
>>
>>Logitech(...) Quickcam Messenger.
>
> OK
>
> So would you avoid buying a Logitech cam if you might
> want to try Linux some day?
>
> If yes.... what webcam WOULD you buy? For both Linux
> and Windows?

Quite frankly I have no clue whatsoever about which camera is best and
for what OS type. But my intention is to learn.

From what I've read there is support in Linux for a number of other
Logitech models. I just had to go and buy the one which seems to be
a problem. But I'm confident that someone will manage the task of
creating drivers for Linux.
But I would guess that more support from Logitech would be of great
help. From what I've read they are not so cooperative, hence the (...).

--
Stein Arne

October 14th 03, 01:25 PM
>Quite frankly I have no clue whatsoever about which camera is best and
>for what OS type. But my intention is to learn.
>
>From what I've read there is support in Linux for a number of other
>Logitech models. I just had to go and buy the one which seems to be
>a problem. But I'm confident that someone will manage the task of
>creating drivers for Linux.
>But I would guess that more support from Logitech would be of great
>help. From what I've read they are not so cooperative, hence the (...).

OK

It just seems like Logitech is the major player in web
cams.

Not many makers of web cams to chose from at all!

John