PDA

View Full Version : strange shutdown problems

Ryan Case
September 8th 03, 07:44 PM
I am looking for thoughts on a strange problem that I am having with a
web cam and xp pro.

Two months ago this was working w\o a glitch btw.

Now, whenever I start any program that would be accessing a web cam my
computer does an immediate restart. It is the same as if I had reached
over and hit the reset button on the front of the case and power cycled
the machine.

I have tried various different share-ware, demo, and free ware programs
as well as net meeting. They all cycle the machine, before I even see a
window of the program.

I tried uninstalling and re-installing the camera, updating to the
latest version of Java, making sure that I am updated and patched, and
even trying to run any number of the programs with no camera plugged
into the machine at all.

I still get the same problem.

The box is a celeron 950 with 512m of pc100 behind it.
XP pro is installed with all the latest patches etc.
The camera is an Alaris wee cam of the variety that Earthlink
used to give away with a contract signing.
The machine is behind a firmware firewall on a cable modem, and AVG
says that it is clean.

Two months ago, when I first installed xp, net meeting worked just fine.

Before installing xp I was running 98se and able to get visiongs pe
(?sp) to work with this machine and camera to post current pictures to a
web site with no problem. (trial run before first child was born)

Now our first child is here and I really want to be able to see him
while at work, as well as let family in other states and countries see
him and this confounded thing has taken a dump on me.

Any thoughts, suggestions, common experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Ryan