PDA

View Full Version : Re: Is Watchport V still rated good these days

SLayER
August 17th 03, 09:51 AM
www.smilecam.com

a good quality cam with pan and tilt....

dont even bother wasting your money on anything less than a smilecam...

ps you have to do a little work to find a retailer....

regards slayer

--

if the following image offends then dont look at it...

/'_/)
,/_ /
/ /
/'_'/' '/'_'7,
/'/ / / /"
('( ' ' _~/
\ '
'\' \ _7
\ (
\ \.

ERROR 404 SIG NOT FOUND . END OF INSTRUCTION , PROGRAM FAILED TO INITIALIZE.
KILL ALL ENEMIES OF THE UK AND COALITION FORCES NOW !!!

Lothar
August 17th 03, 03:39 PM
In article >,
"SLayER" > wrote:

> www.smilecam.com
>
> a good quality cam with pan and tilt....
>
> dont even bother wasting your money on anything less than a smilecam...
>
> ps you have to do a little work to find a retailer....
>
> regards slayer

There are reasons I won't consider a smilecam.

- the website is clunky, and doesn't work properly in my browser.
- the CCD version only comes in RS-232, if that is in use, where ya
going to plug in in?
- the usb version of the camera is CMOS, interior image quality. And
it's really a lie, since the camera needs a usb AND serial connection.
- It's windows only, no linux or mac compatibility.
- The ezWebCam21 viewer program simply doesn't work in my browser. I
haven't been able to view a single smilecam anywhere.

These are just my first impression concerns.

Alternatives for pan & tilt are trackercam and veo observer. I like the
trackercam feature of piping the video to another webcam program. The
veo observer doesn't even need a computer, just plug it in a LAN.

I'd be curious to know what other pan & tilt options are favoured by
others in the under $200.00 range.

As far as the Watchport/V, it's unparalleled in image quality. Stick it
on top of a trackercam pod, and you've got yourself a great pan & tilt
high quality webcam. Some of the phillips cams are excellent quality as
well.

SLayER
August 17th 03, 06:10 PM
interesting that anyone has a problem with the smilecams...

ive set these up on three machines with no problems whatsoever...

i would suggest the browseris at fault rather than the smilecams
themselves...

i agree the website is a little "clunky" but works well for me..

i have to disagree on the quality side tho as mine is pointing into the
garden most of the time and has no problems with light being to bright or
too dim...'wouldnt call it interior myself.'

anyway for a really good quality webcam with image taking capabilities i
used a creative pc cam 300 for a couple of years without any problems..and
was never dissatisfied with it....

i have a few webcams i have tried and i suggest steering clear of creative
video blaster and twinkle cams...crap quality..

also the smartcam range is a bit low quality too....

regards slayer